Nursing foot stools

sethhoover

My wife and I welcomed our little one into our lives two months ago today. My wife's sister is expecting her little one any day now! The two cousing would have been closer in age but my son was born a month early.

When my son was first born we went to see a lactation consultant who had a wooden footstool for moms to use. It was made by a popular baby brand and honestly was a piece of junk. Screwed together butt joints that were loose and wobbly. When I looked at the price i was astounded...$50!

I went to my local harwood and bought 10BF of red oak for $30 and made two stools, one for my wife and one for my sister inlaw.

Used sliding doveails as the one joint...they arent as tight as I usually make them, but then again I am usually not this sleep deprived! Finish is one coat of Danish oil and a couple coats of Minwax wiping poly.

This is the first project I am posting here, but don't hesitate to be critical!

Thanks.

post-6891-0-53556500-1358800705_thumb.pn

post-6891-0-62666200-1358800751_thumb.pn

post-6891-0-34003300-1358800808_thumb.pn

Those simple and practical projects that serve an important purpose are often the most gratifying, yeah? And the sliding DT makes them heirloom-worthy. Fantastic. My only concern would be if some lame-brain ever tried to stand on one, the joint might fail...not much meat at the top there. But the fact that they're angled like they are should send the message: I'm for foot-resting, NOT standing. Still, ya never know...people can be fairly stupid. They may have benefitted from a stretcher in the middle or the back. Just food for thought. Well done!

BTW, we're living parallel lives, Seth. I have a 3 month old son, born a month early (and a two and a half year old daughter, just to make things more "interesting." This look says, "How'd you like not getting any sleep last night? Haha, sucker!" :)

abhen1212112.jpg

Thanks all!

Eric I had not even thought about needing to strengthen it...I figured since weight will be pushing down, in case some "lame brain" does try to stand on it, that having the bulk of the joint below the rest would be okay.

Btw here's the "I know you're not sleeping because of me look," I got just the other day!

post-6891-0-61005200-1359042532_thumb.pn

Yeah, certainly downward pressure would be no problem...I was thinking if someone were standing on it and introduced any kind of side-to-side pressure, the racking could pop that material right off the top and the footrest would collapse. Perhaps not, perhaps it could hold. Either way, it's not for standing upon, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. It's not a critique of your design in any way...I've just been more conscious of structural integrity in my pieces since having kids, because if there's a way of breaking something, they'll find it.

Good luck with your little boy!