Glue sizing to control blotching

Nowicki20

I accidentally deleted the previous post (I'm still new to this). Anyway I appreciate all the help and I see the advantages/disadvantages to both glue sizing and shellac.

I had one other question

If I apply a fairly heavy (say 1# cut or shellac) I understand this will inhibit absorption of the dye. But...can't I either 1. Use a heavier concentration of dye (I use transtint and water) or 2. Spray more coats until I get the color I like, assuming dye builds on the previous application (the more I spray the darker it becomes)?

Lastly I mostly dye cherry and I do tend to get "wild" with the color. I get it to a deep dark rich red color.

Again thanks to all.

-Adam

let's take a step back...

do you access to spray kit?

what are you trying to achieve?

In the realm of cherry, coloring is unusual except to hide sap,  even-out a glue-up or uniformly tone a project...  Cherry is so blotch prone it's difficult to 'go wild' sans spray...

To answer your questions, it may or may not work that way depending on what you are applying and how you apply it...

i'd just get myself a bunch of cutoffs and experiment until you find a combo that works for you...  

i think i sprayed about 75 samples until i found a schedule for cherry that matched my workflow...  i can now get evenly tinted cherry as light or dark as i want without blotch, but it took me a couple of days worth of experimentation to get there...  once you get to certain point, you've got to apply the materials if you like the results...  once person's 'light' is another's 'dark'...