Site blocked from work

Jerry_in_SD

Interesting situation. I work for a large corporation (cannot say which one) and I occasionally log in when I eat lunch at my desk. Recently I have trying to post to the forum and when I hit post, the browser would just hang. This is on Firefox so I switched to Internet Explorer but had to log in as I did not have a site cookie. When I tried to do that, I got a pop-up that said the following:

Your requested URL has been blocked by the McAfee Web Gateway URL Filter database module. The URL is listed in categories that are not allowed by your administrator at this time.

URL: http://www.woodtalkonline.com/index.php?app=core&module=global§ion=login&do=process

URL Categories: Malicious Sites

Media Type:

Rule Name: Block URLs With Bad Reputation

I thought this rather strange so I went back to Firefox and cleared my cache and cookies. So when I had to log in, the same pop-up occurred. So now I am completely blocked at work.

I find it hard to believe that The Wood Whispere site is malicious so I was wondering if it was blocking due to the forum software being used. Maybe there are other sites that are malicious that use this software.

Oh we'll, guess I have to use my Android phone....

the company probably blocked it because its a forum just like they wont want you to get on any kindof chat while your at work.  you probably cant get on facebook eather for the same reason.  i had the same thing happen at work but i got the ok to use it since im a wood shop teacher and this is a wood working forum so i can get the help i need on the class projects.  so i just put in a password to unblock the site.  your company might have updated there security or started puting in blocks because people were going onto facebook rather then working.

Most companies do as duckkisser said and just block forums since they are rarely needed for work activities. Our site attack shouldnt have landed us on any sort of malicious list though since there really was nothing to harm the user. Even the "defense" from the attack was pretty benign from a user perspective since we were only blocking IPs. You might try other forums just to get a few more data points on this.

• 2 weeks later...

My company (also can't say) blocks a lot of sites.  Usually the reasoning or categories of sites that are blocked are in the employee manual/guide/manifesto/whatever that is available through HR online somewhere.

** edited **

I understand the reasoning, it just makes for a long time before I can get home and get caught up.

Edited by jHop

Yea, but something happened.  

It was fine for 1.5 years and then...same thing happens to SDWoodworker at the same time?

I've never had access to a site and then all of a sudden not been able to get on.  

Not any site and they are all discussion boards!  Not in the 5 years I've worked here.