Guitar Build

Jim DaddyO

OK, I'll bite and see what happens....This is the guitar I just finished building. There is a blog on it at LJ's but suffice it to say it is a semi hollow strat type guitar without the trem bar. I bought the neck, the body is a core of maple with bookmatched ash front and back. This is my first guitar, my first bookmatch, my first try at dying wood and my first french polish. Plays well and sounds great. The pick up switching is a 5 way strat switch and a push/pull on the tone knob that will engage the bridge pick up anytime. This gives me the option of having the neck/bridge combo and all 3 on combo.

DSC_4521.jpg

DSC_4518.jpg

DSC_4505.jpg

DSC_4506.jpg

Nice job, I like it. The first five guitars I build I purchased a neck. Then on number six I built my own neck.. then on guitars 7-9, I bought more necks.. I'm no good at building necks.

The proof is in the tone and playability. We all want our guitars to look nice, but I have seen beautiful guitars tha sound like crap anb busted up old beaters that sing like angels.

That being said. I like the way you inset the pots and selector switch. Going sans pickguard is a ballsy move. In doing so you expose ALL your woodwork to the world. That's a lot of Ash grain to look at. Personally, I would have chosen a top sheet with a finer grain pattern and more interest, Tiger Maple, Flame Maple, Zebrawood, Bubinga maybe. I know, it get's spendy.

The finish looks good. Good call going Non-trem for your first build. They are a PITA to install.

Nicely done.

• 1 month later...