Hey everyone. I've been hanging out in the chat room for a while, and finally figured out how to get registered on the forum, so here's my first post.

BigE

Hey everyone. I've been hanging out in the chat room for a while, and finally figured out how to get registered on the forum, so here's my first post. Looking forward to meeting everyone here.

My parents went on an Alaskan cruise in the fall of 2011 for their anniversary. While in Alaska, they took a tour of an Ulu factory.

An Ulu is a crescent shaped knife that you rock back and forth on the cutting board, and it is supposed to be much faster and easier to use versus a regular butcher knife.

1283648145710-1889452681.jpeg

Well, my mom was very impressed with the Ulu knife, and they purchased one. However, for whatever reason, they decided not to purchase the cutting board for the knife. The cutting board is special in that it is
turned on the lathe to create a dished effect in the board. Apparently this helps with the rocking motion, and also helps to keep whatever you are cutting on the board itself.

Since my mom didn't get a board, I promised her one for her birthday, and I finally got it finished, only a few months late.

Made from black walnut and cherry, and cut so that the end grain is exposed, like a proper cutting board should be. Glued with Titebond III. Turned on the lathe. Finished with the Doctor's walnut oil (combination of walnut oil and wax).

Feedback welcome.

Edit: Hmm, looks like my title didn't quite make it through properly. Next time, I guess. :-)

post-12342-0-42711600-1360552950_thumb.j

Edited by BigE

I was pretty bummed when I figured out that I got that last board out of sequence, but my mom won't notice.

Thanks, Cindy. My board is just over 7x7. But, I'm pretty sure I had enough room for an 8x8, as I didn't even have to go to the largest opening, and the jaws were almost fully closed. Maybe it's because I have a bigger chuck?

Steve,

I've been working on my ulu end grain cutting board.  What tool did you use to hollow out the dished section?  I did have success using my Sorby multi tip shear scraper, but it was slow going.  Is there a better way?  Other techniques I tried gave tear out and pulled the piece off the lathe, but maybe I am just rusty.

I have sanding left to do as well as making a matching handle for my ulu.  I will post pics when the project is complete.

Cindy

Cindy,

I just used my 1/2" bowl gouge for most of it. I have a swept back grind on it. (Ellsworth grind). For the most part I used a pull cut, starting at the center. Use the tip of the tool, opened no further than 45 degrees. If your tool is sharp, you should get little to no tear out. (Jimmy Clewes uses this cut a lot if you've seen any of his DVDs).

Since this is end grain, the final cut should be a push cut, starting at the center. This will leave a very clean finish. I switched over to a 3/8" bowl gouge with a normal grind for this cut, but you could use the same bowl gouge as above. Just make sure it is freshly sharpened. For final cuts, I also strop mine on a leather wheel, but you can get by without doing it.

Thanks, Steve!  I'll use your technique on my next one.  I have several to do as these cutting boards with a matching ulu will be Christmas gifts for family.  Starting early for a change.  :)

I will rewatch my Jimmy Clewes dvds.  Might as well since it is too cold to work in my shop right now.  I'll be taking a class from Jimmy this summer, really looking forward to it!

Cindy

I normally don't take classes when the famous turners come around to the club, but I probably would make an exception for Jimmy. I like his teaching style. I've never taken a class either, but the club has tons of DVDs that I've learned from, and we also used to have a "learn to turn" where more experienced turners would teach the in-experienced guys. Was always a lot of fun, but hard to find a place to hold the event.