What to do with one stellar board

rodger.

Every once and a while, I get a stellar board out of a project. I have an incredible piece of 8/4 walnut, that is about 27 inches long, and 7 inches wide. I want to use it for something special, but what?

Have you ever had one awesome board you saved? What did you do with it?

Yeah, I have a bunch of awesome boards.  They're up in the lumber rack because they're too awesome to use. :)   Kidding, mostly.

Shape clay into a vessel.  It is the space within that gives it value.  Place doors and windows in a house.  It is the opening that brings light within.  Set spokes within a wheel.  It is the emptiness of the hub that makes them useful.  Therefore, be the space at the center.  Be nothing.  And you will have everything to give to others.

Okay that's just Kung Fu gibberish.  But it's true, young grasshoppa.  Have patience.  The wood will speak to you when it is ready.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

A couple of lamps? A pair of sconces? Coat rack? Resaw it, book match it, and make a pair of raised panel doors. If you hold it up to a mirror you can get an idea what the book match will look like. Frame the doors in maple or cherry for some constast.

Pedestal or plaque for a gun or sculpture.

Give it to a friend, and make them sweat?

Do a Roubo folding book stand?

Check out the other projects listed in the Book.  (Okay, so this book.)

Highlight it.  Spotlights, red carpet, paparazzi, the whole treatment, like this fella.

Make a dresser or desk using all those spectacular boards for different drawer fronts.  (So it's a hodge-podge of lumber.  Big deal.  It's all about the presentation of the grain.)

Turn it into a mirror frame.  Or picture frame(s).  Do a series of small frames throughout a room.  Cut them into tiles and do a contrasting wood border around them.  Turn them into coasters.  Make wine racks.  make wine glass holders.  Make wine display racks, like this, this, this, or this nice

What about jigsaw puzzles?  Use the grain as the puzzle.  (or the picture/artwork...)

Bandsaw boxes?

Don't let me limit your imagination.

i keep my special pieces of wood in a locking metal cage on wheels... sounds a little weird but it really keeps my parameters tight for a "stellar board". its about 5 feet tall, 24 deep and 24 wide. 

There are certain projects which i've learned a specific technique on and if i have a sweet board that comes out of it I'll make a nice picture frame out of that wood with a picture that relates to the piece or adventure, rather :)

I'll post an image soon of the cage

I've had a quilted maple board in my shop for over two years just waiting for the right project. It's about 10" by 6' and 5/4. It just may end up the top to a hall table I've been conjuring up. We'll see if the size will work. I think it's fun to have boards like these in the shop. They get you to think of projects in a different way. Instead of picking the project and going out to choose the wood for it, you have the wood and have to daydream about what it could become. Like "eric1978" said above, let the wood speak to you.