Removal of Super Shield from Ipe

mphelps

First time user; please bear with me as I try to get up to speed in participating.

I regret that I now have experience with the failure and removal of so-called Super Shield fluoropolymer from my beautiful new 1200 sf square foot ipe deck on the Lake Michigan shore in the Indiana Dunes.  We found the most efficient and effective technique to be pre-scraping with 4 inch replacable-blade wallpaper scrapers to knock off the flakes of failed and failing coating.  Interestingly this worked well with the deck either wet or dry.  Ironically, the finish was failing so quickly that a significant amount of the finish virtually fell off.

After experimenting with a variety of sanders, the consensus of the sanding team was that the Festool 150 6 inch rotex and 90 rotex detail sanders were the most efficient and effective.  For both sanders we used Festool brand 80 grit for "removal" and 120 grit for "polishing".

I welcome any suggestions as to where I should go from here on any finish/treatment of the "refreshed" ipe to make the best of the present circumstances.  As Mark Twain might say, "the promise of a 20 year finish on ipe in nw Indiana was greatly exaggerated".  At this point i am looking for some realistic recommendations for ipe in nw Indiana.

Thanks,

duneman

I don't know about NW Indiana, but here in Philly we get 100 degree days in summer and 10 degree days in winter, with lots of rain and humidity shifts.  

I'd hit the end grain with a sealer, and just leave the long grain natural.  It will turn grey, and all reports are that it will last about 20 years.  If I recall correctly, that what they found when they did the Atlantic City boardwalk (lots of sun, wind and salt water spray).

Hey Duneman. Welcome to the forum. From what I've read, once you sand Ipe, the only thing that will stick to it is water borne poly.

Solvent lacquer sticks fine. I did a whole kitchen for the guy I mentioned above of of it. 2k poly sticks fine, I did his bath cabinets with 2k. Helmsman spar also sticks, I sprayed his big green egg stand 4 years ago.