Stanley 720 chisels

Chuck Melton

I have been trying to get better with chisels and I am wondering if anyone uses old stanley 720s? I feel like they might be a bit long to maintain control of. I am planning on buying some additional chisels but I am debating between getting some shorter bevel edged chisels, or expanding the variety that I have.

I've been going through the process of getting the set of 720s I have flattened and adequately sharpened, and I am definitely not blaming the tool for my lack of skill, but if anyone has experience with these chisels, I'd love any advice you can spare.

Chuck I have similar feelings when I buy a new chisel and I'm assuming the 720's have only seen light use so they are still long. When I have used a chisel for a few years the length always reduces and so when you get a new one they initially feel awkward. I would say keep practicing and if you want to try another type get to a store where you can pick one up and feel the balance and control before you buy.