#1 Chuck Melton

Chuck Melton

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have been trying to get better with chisels and I am wondering if anyone uses old stanley 720s? I feel like they might be a bit long to maintain control of. I am planning on buying some additional chisels but I am debating between getting some shorter bevel edged chisels, or expanding the variety that I have.

I've been going through the process of getting the set of 720s I have flattened and adequately sharpened, and I am definitely not blaming the tool for my lack of skill, but if anyone has experience with these chisels, I'd love any advice you can spare.

#2 Tom King

Tom King

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationLake Gaston, NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

They work fine.  I have some that belonged to my Dad, and maybe my Grandfather before him.  I like long chisels.  You can see what you are doing.

#3 Graham Haydon

Graham Haydon

Master Poster

• Mentors
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Chuck I have similar feelings when I buy a new chisel and I'm assuming the 720's have only seen light use so they are still long. When I have used a chisel for a few years the length always reduces and so when you get a new one they initially feel awkward. I would say keep practicing and if you want to try another type get to a store where you can pick one up and feel the balance and control before you buy.

Support the forum by shopping with our affiliates!

Shop Woodworking | Rockler Woodworking & Hardware | Amazon.com

bellforest200x200-tww10 Image Map EagleAmericaCPT 200x200 Ad v4pre