sealing leg ends against water

imcmahon

I get some flooding in my shop after heavy rains, and I've been thinking about ways to protect the feet of my bench from sucking up water.  My bench is nearing completion, and built from southern yellow pine.

I was considering dunking the ends in west systems epoxy (I have it on hand already).  

Do you guys have any opinions on whether this will do an adequate job of penetrating and sealing the endgrain?

It really works out well. The bench 'stays-put' for all hand-tool use, but with a little oomph, you can overcome static friction and slide the bench by yourself.

BTW: I do the same for outdoor furniture sets... A 1/8" sliver of UHMW on the bottom of table, chair, bench, etc legs. I now never worry about rot in the bottom of legs... I cut the UHMW slightly smaller than the leg and chamfer the edge so you don't see the UHMW when looking at the furniture... Works well.

==>I was wondering whether you'd have issues with the bench wanting to slide around when planing

Doesn't move at all with planing, sawing, etc -- but it's a heavy bench. It does take a real nudge to overcome static friction, but moving friction is much less (remember your HS Physics) so once in motion...

==> half ton when waterlogged.  :D

All dried-out and resurfaced... The tail vice is reassembled and working well...

• 2 months later...

Yes West epoxy works great for sealing end grain. I have some outside planter boxes with legs made from a nameless south east asian hardwood (not teak). I sealed them with epoxy last year and they are as good as new despite the wet winter we just had in the UK.

• 5 weeks later...