Need some opinions, please.

EastCoastKid

I am refinishing an older Van Sciver desk. Made some drawer slide repairs (recreate) Someone else refinished it prior so I'm not ruining an original lol. Anyway, after stripping it down it appears to be Maple, where I thought I was stripping down Mahogany. So, I'm the guy who likes his Maple natural but this desk wouldn't look like with just a clear or tint right? I'm farting with the idea of using Ebony stain on it but need some options. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I was just looking for any alternative options. I have a nice dye set but really don't want to resort to that. I'd be more likely to use a toner since I could get a more even finish. I was curious what the consensus would be on this peace just shellacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i disagree on shellac for this project. Shellac is great when you want the grain to stand out or just want to warm up the wood a little bit. Maybe it just the picture, but I really do not see much interesting grain. and i don't think shellac will even out the tone unless you add a lot of dye to it. I actually like the idea of ebonizing or dying the wood.