Looking to borrow/rent a Festool Domino

morganew

A couple of us Guild members are building the split-top roubo here in Northern Virginia, and neither of us are going to convince the wives that we NEED the domino just for our workbench tops.

That said, we'd love to use it on bench building to see if we can come up with reasons that we need to buy one down the road.

So if you are in the Northern Virginia/Maryland-DC suburbs and have a Domino, I would love to rent/borrow it for a day and see if it really is the best thing ever in the history of woodworking.

Happy to pay in $/beer/other comestibles. 

Obviously, We'll provide our own mortices, and if anything should happen, I'd buy you a new one.

Can you help infect a fellow woodworker with the Festool disease?

And 10% off starting May 1

Too bad they just raised all their prices by about 10% :blink:

FWIW, I used biscuits for my glue-up.  I'm not a fan of biscuits and I rarely use them, but I'm still Domino-less.  It's just for alignment purposes...all that glue surface requires no additional reinforcement.  The biscuits did the job just fine.

Eric,

alignment is exactly what I am after.   I have a couple of boards that, after ripping, jointing and planing are only about 4 1/16 wide.  It would totally suck to get this all together and have just enough glue float that I have to go below 4" to get it flat, since I was able to keep the rest at closer to 4 1/2".

oh and yes, I meant "bring our own tenons", whoops! :)

I am assuming you are face gluing the boards so that the top ends up being 4"+ thick.  If so, I am with Eric, dominoes are probably nice for alignment but overkill.  Lots and lots of cauls and you should be ok.  And I will say it before  if most of your boards are closer to 4 1/2", and you only have a couple that 4 1/6", I'd go buy a few more boards and save the narrow ones for something else. 

Too bad they just raised all their prices by about 10% :blink:

FWIW, I used biscuits for my glue-up.  I'm not a fan of biscuits and I rarely use them, but I'm still Domino-less.  It's just for alignment purposes...all that glue surface requires no additional reinforcement.  The biscuits did the job just fine.

Oh, I'm well aware that the prices are about the same as a month ago! I have a Leigh FMT and keep trying to tell myself I don't need a Domino...so far, so good!

all I know is the moment I have it in the budget the domino is getting purchased!

Truth be told, I feel the same way.

That Domino budget...hell, the whole shop budget...has to be put on hold for the finding my first house budget!

Budgets aside, the Domino is something I really have wanted for awhile. I have been in so many instances where I say to myself, "Using that Domino really would be helpful right now." Seems like a worthwhile machine to me.