Making a new ballpark stadium seat look old?

ArcherSeating

What C said. I used about 12 oz. of vinegar, into which a pad of 0000 steel wool had been completely dissolved to produce a purple-black color on red oak. The same amount of vinegar, but soaking the steel wool in it for only 24 hrs, produces a much more natural wood tone.

On woods with less tannin, I find that the vinegar solution will still produce a dark tone, but must be exposed to oxygen for a longer period. Applying a top coat seems to lock in the shade.

I like this technique mostly because it isn't an applied color, but rather a chemical reaction that brings out the natural tone of the wood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for safety, WATCH THOSE BLO RAGS! They can be prone to spontaneous combustion and really ruin your day! I think on the metal you could paint a bright color first (red, blue or green) and then after it dries spray on a thin coat of black. Sand through the black with a scotch brite pad in places where wear would occur and you will have a great distressed paint job.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

unfortunately we use powdercoating for the legs...although I do like the paint idea, it wouldn't hold up well with lots of people sitting in these chairs (or wouldn't hold up as well as the powdercoat, I think), They're first e-coated, after being sand–blasted, then powdercoated the glossy black seen in the photo of the new wood.