Vertical Wood Storage

jowens

So years ago I had a tree milled, and got close to 600 bft of 5/4 quartersawn. Half of it is probably 8" @12'. I now think of it as Albatross Neck Oak, it's stickered and takes up 1/3 of my garage. Without doing some major rennovation I don't have enough room to rack all of it horizontally. I do have enough room though to vertically store the larger boards. I'm concerned about warping. The boards have been kiln dried, and the research I've done stated as long as the boards were dried warping wouldn't be a problem. Would you agree? It might be years before I get to some of the stock. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Jason

I don't think you have anything to worry about. One of our most famous father's of modern woodworking, James Krenov, stored all of his wood vertically in his basement. It saved room and made it easier to flip through the boards to find just the right one for his project. I've got a couple hundred feet of spruce stored vertically in my garage and it's very stable. It had air dried for 4 years stickered horizontally first.

-Mike

I have stored most of my lumber vertacally for years and have never had an issue. What I did was on the wall were the wood will be leaning I built a wall of sorts and angled it around 8 degrees. I went with 2'4's 24oc for the uprights and 8" crossmembers every 36". This gave the support for the wood to lean against and not to keep tip forward. The crossmembers also work great for strapping or clamping thin or bowed stock to make it stable. A buddy of mine is stopping woodworking for the most part and gave me tons of wood so mine is way too full now to show in a picture so I hope this helps.

Nate

I had to go vertical about three years ago and I can't say that I have noticed any ill effects to my stock. I built a simple 2X4 and plywood foundation to keep the wood off the ground and I try to ensure that it stands upright and limit boards leaning on one another. I do however still keep my longest and widest stock horizontal (mainly because its too long to fit vertically). I have horizontal stuff stored on an elevated rack that keeps the floor space below clear for a couple of machines. Good luck.

Hec

If you do go vertical, it is a good idea to get a piece of chain with some hooks and make sure that you chain it to the wall. Would hate for it to fall over and damage something. That is what I did with mine. Here is a pic of one that I have in my garage. I just used 2x4 or 2x6, whatever I had, drilled 3/4" holes in it and cut sections of 3/4" dowel about 12" long and glued them in the holes. I used a few screws to attach it to the studs. Simple and effective.. and cheap.

DSC00179.jpg

I like that rack, Sac. I also like the idea of you having those wheels mounted to your chair. That would rock!

I have an off road chair that has big old knobby tires. It get me around pretty good. Those are for the winter tires for the lawn mower that doubles as a snow blower.

I have an off road chair that has big old knobby tires. It get me around pretty good. Those are for the winter tires for the lawn mower that doubles as a snow blower.

I'd hate to see the lawn that needs snow tires just to be cut...

As for vertical storage, Our Fearless Leader's favorite mentor (D. Marks) uses vertical storage. So does my local Woodcraft, for that matter. I'd imagine for thinner stock, you should probably stack horizontally, but I don't see any reason not to go vertical for 3/4. (aside from the fact I don't have enough 3/4 stock to make up a TV tray, that is)