Dust collection upgrade

Shane Jimerfield

Been mulling over upgrading my dust collection. I've got a Delta 50-760 and I really dislike - no hate - that dust bag. Whenever I turn it on dust fills my shop.

Considering a dust deputy and a Wynn filter.

Q: can I skip the filter and just vent this thing through the roof?

I live out in the country so I don't have to worry about dusting the neighborhood. Also the cyclone should grab the lions share of the particulates. Will there be any problems not having any back pressure?

Cheers!

So, I've been doing a bit more research on the topic, and it seems that my unit is probably not powerful enough to pull enough air through 20' of duct and a Dust Deputy. Anyone got experience with that?

I really do like the idea of venting outside though, perhaps I could do that in the Summer and Fall. Maybe rig up a system to easily switch to a Wynn filter when it's too cold to be sucking 1,200 cfm of cold air into the shop.

Though I don't do it in my shop, I have heard of folks venting outside, even through unused laundry vents with success. I personally wouldn't try myself with anything less than two stages of collection to separate the heavier stuff out.

As far as the dust collector goes, I've gotten away with more than I should with my setup. Adding the Wynn filter should give you a boost in performance, but adding the separator container could take that down again (at worst, hopefully break even). If not already, keep all runs as straight as possible, use 45 degree bends rather than 90, keep flex hose to a minimum and blast gates, blast gates, blast gates.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the HF DC and built a Thein baffle for the top of a metal trash can. I vented directly out the side of my garage. As long as my trash can doesn't get full, I get no noticeable dust outside.

I live in Vegas, and my garage isn't air conditioned, so I'm not too worried about pushing out my conditioned air.

I also just have one run with a dust right hose that I move from machine to machine so there is not too much loss on the system. It does a fair job of collecting the dust.