Woodsmith & Shopnotes

Mzdadoc

Good resources are never just for beginners. They are great throughout your woodworking journey as reference. I save all my magazines and once in a while i go through them again. There is always something to learn in this craft, and im still learning as well as many others here. Once you stop learning, it becomes dull and repetitive. Never stop learning! :)

Doc, For me they are a love/hate item. Each time I get one, I'll thumb thru it and think, damn why do I subscribe to this as there's nothing in here that I don't already know. Then at times, late at night when the family's gone to bed, I pick it back up and take a closer look, only to find things that I didn't really know already and that could certainly make things easier. Just the opposite w/ Fine Woodworking mag. I'll read it front to back several times, drooling, knowing full well that I could never do most of the things those guys do.

My wife gets mad at me.  A while ago she got me a subscription to Fine Woodworking at the time I really didn't understand most of what I was reading.  I saved them though (she hates that she likes to throw stuff away as soon as you read half of it).  I look at them now and I get it and have used them as a reference.

Right now in my stage of the game it's overwhelming how much info there is. Tips and jigs I wish I could categorize to keep track of so I don't forget them. I love the fact that the library is completely online also. The only draw back, which I do understand, is the patterns aren't available any longer from older issues.

Since the library is available online, you might look into Evernote as a method of keeping and organizing the tips and articles.  It has very good clipping capabilities and you can set up tags for different types of jigs or tips or whatever.  It saves just about any format and you can make notes on what it was that captured your interest.  I have hundreds of articles I've clipped from all kinds of sources.  For print versions, you can snap a photo and upload it from the mobile app.  It scans the article and makes it available for word searches.  Syncs across platforms.  

• Like 1

I've used a couple of WoodSmith's plans from their free site and really like them.  I've saved a couple PDFs of other one's I intend to do in the future.  Not planning on subscribing to the whole kit-n-caboodle, however.  I look for the things I need when I need them.