Best spray gun tutorial videos?

Jasahan

I will add that the best way I learned was to get out some scraps and play around. A lot of variables with spraying - tip size, air flow, atomization, distance from material, thickness of coat, etc. You just need to keep playing around until you get it right. I have a spreadsheet of all the settings/variables for each spray and how it turned out. I've found a wet coat that looks like orange peel off the gun will level out nicely when dry for waterbornes. 

Once you start spraying you won't want to go back!

In my opinion, unless you're able to track down a video where they are using your exact gun and spraying the same material you're spraying the information should be taken as a 'nuts and bolts' guide.  By that I mean showing you which knob does what, and how to hold the gun when spraying. 

As an example, last Fall I bought a new gun for spraying large projects (Devilbiss JGA-510).  This is a gun that was used as an example in the paint manufacturer's manual that I would be using outlining what the air pressure should be, material flow through the gun, fan size and pot pressure (I use a pressure pot for my projects rather than a gravity fed or suction).  I did a bunch of testing on panels before taking it to the boat.  I had it dialed in perfectly according to the paint manufacturers recommendation but just wasn't getting good results.

Finally stumbled across the spec's for the actual gun and saw what they recommended was quite different than what the paint manual said (even though it was for that exact gun).  Each gun and combination of it's parts (air cap, needle size, etc) are designed to work a very specific way; somewhat like a carburetor. 

*** Messing around with different settings trying to force the gun to work with the material being sprayed is opposite of what you need to do; ** you need to adjust the material being sprayed to work with the gun (typically by having it thinned correctly to get the fluid rate that the gun was designed for, and by using a reducer that is appropriate for the temps you're spraying in).  Once I adjusted the gun to the gun spec's it was a night and day difference. 

The best suggestion I can offer is to get a copy of the specs for the gun (it should contain information like this specifically what is shown on the 'Overview' tab and 'Tech Specs' tab).  Experiment spraying water on cardboard to get the feel of the process (holding it perpendicular to the work piece, maintaining a consistent distance and how fast you need to be moving the gun while maintaining correct overlap).  Once you have that down, it's a matter of adjusting the material being sprayed to what the gun likes which is a pretty simple process.  

Here's an example of my latest spray:

post-6031-0-55480500-1410277453_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-18152500-1410277430_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-89216800-1410277465_thumb.jp

In my opinion, unless you're able to track down a video where they are using your exact gun and spraying the same material you're spraying the information should be taken as a 'nuts and bolts' guide. By that I mean showing you which knob does what, and how to hold the gun when spraying.

As an example, last Fall I bought a new gun for spraying large projects (Devilbiss JGA-510). This is a gun that was used as an example in the paint manufacturer's manual that I would be using outlining what the air pressure should be, material flow through the gun, fan size and pot pressure (I use a pressure pot for my projects rather than a gravity fed or suction). I did a bunch of testing on panels before taking it to the boat. I had it dialed in perfectly according to the paint manufacturers recommendation but just wasn't getting good results.

Finally stumbled across the spec's for the actual gun and saw what they recommended was quite different than what the paint manual said (even though it was for that exact gun). Each gun and combination of it's parts (air cap, needle size, etc) are designed to work a very specific way; somewhat like a carburetor.

*** Messing around with different settings trying to force the gun to work with the material being sprayed is opposite of what you need to do; ** you need to adjust the material being sprayed to work with the gun (typically by having it thinned correctly to get the fluid rate that the gun was designed for, and by using a reducer that is appropriate for the temps you're spraying in). Once I adjusted the gun to the gun spec's it was a night and day difference.

The best suggestion I can offer is to get a copy of the specs for the gun (it should contain information like this specifically what is shown on the 'Overview' tab and 'Tech Specs' tab). Experiment spraying water on cardboard to get the feel of the process (holding it perpendicular to the work piece, maintaining a consistent distance and how fast you need to be moving the gun while maintaining correct overlap). Once you have that down, it's a matter of adjusting the material being sprayed to what the gun likes which is a pretty simple process.

Here's an example of my latest spray:

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Did you use the same material as the spaceship on flight of the navigator? Goodness, that's shiny.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use a pressure pot? Do you like it?

And as always, you were very helpful. Thanks.

*** Messing around with different settings trying to force the gun to work with the material being sprayed is opposite of what you need to do; ** you need to adjust the material being sprayed to work with the gun (typically by having it thinned correctly to get the fluid rate that the gun was designed for, and by using a reducer that is appropriate for the temps you're spraying in).  Once I adjusted the gun to the gun spec's it was a night and day difference. 

I agree with this assessment.  I use a Devillbiss compressor driven set-up and get terrific results.  My hurdle was material and filtration.  Once I came to the conclusion that I couldn't spray Behr latex paint, bought some ready to spray material (Fuhr, at that time), and invested in some quality filtration it all come together easy.

Would it have been easier to just buy a turbine system?  Yes.  But I felt complelled to keep a giant compressor in the shop.  Duh!

I think Marc has a good video on spraying with the Earlex.

miw

Did you use the same material as the spaceship on flight of the navigator? Goodness, that's shiny.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use a pressure pot? Do you like it?

And as always, you were very helpful. Thanks.

HaHa :-)  The main reason I use a pressure pot is so I am able to hold the gun at any angle without worry of spilling / dumping the paint (it's all in the pot and fed to the gun by air pressure).  Also, for the volume of material it can hold without having to re-fill.  Each coat on the boat took 4Qts (2 per side).  I do like it, but would be nice to have a free hand to hold onto something for balance.  Right now one hand holds the gun and the other holds the pot leaving me having to do a balancing act when I'm in an awkward spot.