Sharpening Ugh!

Mzdadoc

One of my classes is a totally unplugged class and sharpening is how we are beginning. I bought a machined flat piece of granite and water stones. Also wet/dry sand paper. I know I could have went cheaper with glass but with young ones I know it would get broken.

Holy cow is this labor intensive!!!!! Our instructor let us pass around his box of chisels he's acquired and we all took one or more.

I took one and spent HOURS flattening the back side and then putting a 30 degree angle on it down to 8000 grit.

I can totally shave very easily with it and if I get it with 1/4" of wood it starts to shave off curls.... LOL

I can also see myself in the steel.

1 down 5 to go.............. 

If it took you hours to flatten it, then you weren't using a coarse enough stone...or are you using sandpaper?  I'm confused...you said you have a piece of granite and stones.  Which are you using?  I use my DMT Dia-Flat to flatten...it takes longer to get the scratches out from the DMT than it does to flatten.

I don't think I've ever flattened over the last inch or so of an iron or chisel, and I doubt I ever spent longer than five minutes flattening anything, except maybe a plane sole.  I also use a granite surface plate, and paper for first flattening.  I start at 320 to see what it's like, and then go way back from there depending on what it needs.  I use Waterstones for fine finish, but final polish is done with diamond lapping film because it's so fast.