Biscuit joining

KMBert12

2" to 5" wide boards are going to make a better top than wide boards. I would use 5/4 (1" thick when planed) or thicker boards. Getting your edges extremely straingt and square is important. Put the biscuits as close to the center of the edge as possible. The biscuits are more for helping keep the boards aligned while you glue and clamp the top up.

I'm sorry I may have asked my question in the wrong manner.  Though the answers are very helpful, I think what I wanted to ask was I am thinking of making some bedroom furniture.  I wanted to make the tops and sides out of solid wood and I'm thinking I would have to biscuit the boards together to make the top and sides.  What would I need to have the least chance of the boards cupping when I put them together.  Should I use say a 1"x6" board several times or use fewer 1"x12" boards to make it easier? 

Thanks and I was aware by people I know to also use a joiner to make sure the boards are as straight and flat as can be. 

Also thanks for the welcome I hope to begin building many items so I hope to be on here a lot. 

I agree with the previous statements about using narrower boards. Wider boards will have a greater chance of cupping. As for the biscuits, beware that they cannswell a bit as they absorb moisture from the glue. If the biscuit is too close to either face of the board (or both faces if the board is thin), a slight bulge can develop where the biscuit swells. You won't notice it until you sand for finishing. Since the biscuits add no strength to this type of glue joint, I wouldn't recommend them. If you are concerned about alignment, you can use cauls across the panel to hold the boards flat. You can also use wire brads driven into one edge if the board and snipped off to form a point, as an alignment and anti-slip aid. I've even heard of sprinkling salt on the glue joint to prevent slippage, but I've never tried that one.

3 to 5" wide boards and using 5/4 stock is helpful as well. By the time you plane them all to the exact same thickness, glue them together and sand the final panel if you start with 4/4 (3/4" thick stock) you will be lucky to end up with a 9/16 to 5/8 max thickness.

If you start with 5/4 stock you might end up at 3/4" to 7/8". Just the voice of lots of experience trying to give you a heads up as to the results you can expect.