My first Chirstmas Ornament

ChetlovesMer

Greetings,

Okay so I have this post:

In that post I explain how my wife and I are buying a Christmas tree and decorating it for auction to support Blank Children's Hospital.

Here's my first ornament attempt.
Remember this is a prototype. It's basically a glass ball type ornament captured in a walnut Christmas tree. There are a couple of things I plan to do better for the "real" thing, but this was just a test to see if it would work.

For the real thing I'll add a tiny eye hook to the top and put a ribbon in it to hang it on the tree.

I plan do make another tree with a sprig from a pin tree in it.
I plan to do a snowman style with fake Styrofoam snow in it.

I plan to do an angle with a white feather in it.

The fun part is trying to decide what to make and what to fill the glass ball with.

Let me know what you think, and please consider making an ornament of your own and entering my wife and my contest.

post-2771-0-72473700-1412695873_thumb.jp

post-2771-0-19110800-1412695916_thumb.jp

Actually, I cut a pattern on a piece of 1/4" hardboard on the bandsaw, then used the worlds dullest pattern maker's bit on the router table to cut out the pieces out of some scrap Walnut milled to 3/8" thick.

Next I drilled a 55mm hole through both pieces at the same time with a forstner bit.

I cut a 3/8" wide section out of the middle of one of the pieces.

A little poly, then put the glass ball in the middle (you have to fill the glass ball first, because once it's together you aren't getting it out.) and glue the parts together using a couple of tiny dowels for alignment.

I like doing it this way, as apposed to the scroll saw, because with the pattern I can make as many as I like. I will have to get my pattern maker's bit sharpened. I hadn't realized I let it get that bad.

• 2 weeks later...