non pro's and married men. how much time do you spend in your shop ??

tcarswell

It varies for me depending on the project. I have a 20 month old daughter and my wife is a stay at home Mom. So they have to share in the time. It averages about 6-10 hours including the weekend. If it's a project my wife wants done faster then I get more time.

This is me exactly...even the gender and age of the child matches.  My 6-10 is like a lot of the others in mostly being in the evening after wife/daughter are in bed.  If job isn't crazy that week and I'm really enjoying the current project, I may get up closer to ~16 hours in a week counting the weekend.  I've been getting a lot better about planning things out and breaking them up into right-sized steps so that I can make continual progress.  I used to be bad about stalling because I was always like "well I need to have a continuous block of time to do X, Y, or Z..."

I'm the wife. My husband and I are cow/calf ranchers. I try to spend as much time in the shop as I can, which varies from 1-2 to 10+ hours/ week. I am not productive, but I am slowly learning. My husband is fine as long as I don't neglect him or the ranch. But he is #1 to me so we should be fine. I am in my shop now having a ball restoring motorized 1800's drill press. And yes I am prissy (very).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it depends on the week, usually I can talk the wife into letting me have 1 day on the weekend if she isn't working, I have a 1 year old boy so between her work schedule and mine I usually get no hours during the week. My mom usually watches the boy for me while I'm in the shop, since my shop is on my moms land, it works out. I'm getting more since I'm working on Christmas presents now.

There are a lot of variables to this question, I have been union craftsman for 28 years and married 26 years, I have 2 daughters, 1 graduated from college last year and the other is a sophomore in college.  I do a lot of contracting on the side so the line between "contractor" shop time, "income" shop time and play time become very blurred. When the girls were young, I helped coach their gymnastics team plus the other sports they were in the only shop time was when something broke or when we needed something we could not afford to buy, for probably 10 years I built nearly nothing that was not sold or done for pay.

These days, I do pretty much what I want, or what I feel like, so if I am working local I am in the shop around 10-15 hours a week, I i am not working at the time I will spend 40-50 hours in the shop if I have side work.

If it is something for the wife, then she will crack the wipe to get her stuff a little quicker  :D

Lately none! However, I did manage to get in the shop for 30 minutes today to sharpen a couple plane blades. I about 10 hours a day Monday - Friday. I have a 2 year old daughter and a wife who is 6 months pregnant. My daughter is a handful and wears my wife out by the time I get home she pretty much says "tag your it" By the time my daughter goes to bed I am to wiped out to spend any time in the shop. On weekends we usually spend time together as a family on Saturday and on Sunday I like to watch football and then am forced to do stuff that I have been putting off all week. My wife and daughter are going to San Diego for a couple weeks in December, so I took a week off go camping and hopefully can fit in a little bit of woodworking. We are also getting ready to move to Hawaii next April and in the middle of a pretty big tool purge right now.