A workaround for the amber color?

andrew-in-austin

i have used a couple oil based finishes, and I really don't like the Amber tint that happens. I was wondering if anyone has been able to work around this by adding a dye or stain to a oil/varish to even out the color. I am guessing it would take something like a cyan color to shift the final color more neutral. This will likely further darken the wood but I am fine with that.

i have used a couple oil based finishes, and I really don't like the Amber tint that happens. I was wondering if anyone has been able to work around this by adding a dye or stain to a oil/varish to even out the color. I am guessing it would take something like a cyan color to shift the final color more neutral. This will likely further darken the wood but I am fine with that.

What oil based finishes have you used? make/type?

Water based finishes don't seem the have the "depth" that the oil based ones do.  I have tried Waterlox and Osmo oilwax.  Is there a oil/varish finish with very minimal amber?

Yes, You want a Varnish made from Soya oil, and is Alkyd resin based. Pratt &Lambert 38 is something you might want to try.

Check into a automotive grade urethane, even the off brands are a little pricy but with the cataliyst they dry quickly crystal clear and hard as a rock. I plan on using it as n my latest walnut cabinet.

The key obstacle with these is two fold.

1) they require a fine finishing technique. A lot of wood workers are used to using brush on poly or wipe on finishes, and this is an entirely different animal. If you screw up a catalyzed finish, theres no "fixing it" you have to redo all of it. Drop fills and other "fixes" always leave a witness line which, for me, is completely unacceptable. Getting them to spray completely flat with no fine finishing is nigh on impossible. So the added cost of the material (you're talking 80$ for a quart and pint of hardener for the "cheap" stuff, good stuff goes into the hundreds of dollars), added cost of finishing supplies (20$ buffing and finishing pads, 40$ for good finishing compounds, 20-30$ for high grit sandpapers, and a cool bill for a decent buffer).  The finish these provide is hands down the best, but takes more effort to get them that way. 

2) The toxicity of this paint... its literally liquid cancer, and requires a proper setup to spray without murdering yourself. 

That said, a big +1. A decent water white 2k finish is impossible to beat unless you're looking for specific type of finish. 

My suggestion.. would be a spray nitro lacquer. Plenty of decent brands out there. 

The key obstacle with these is two fold.

1) they require a fine finishing technique. A lot of wood workers are used to using brush on poly or wipe on finishes, and this is an entirely different animal. If you screw up a catalyzed finish, theres no "fixing it" you have to redo all of it. Drop fills and other "fixes" always leave a witness line which, for me, is completely unacceptable. Getting them to spray completely flat with no fine finishing is nigh on impossible. So the added cost of the material (you're talking 80$ for a quart and pint of hardener for the "cheap" stuff, good stuff goes into the hundreds of dollars), added cost of finishing supplies (20$ buffing and finishing pads, 40$ for good finishing compounds, 20-30$ for high grit sandpapers, and a cool bill for a decent buffer).  The finish these provide is hands down the best, but takes more effort to get them that way. 

2) The toxicity of this paint... its literally liquid cancer, and requires a proper setup to spray without murdering yourself. 

That said, a big +1. A decent water white 2k finish is impossible to beat unless you're looking for specific type of finish. 

My suggestion.. would be a spray nitro lacquer. Plenty of decent brands out there. 

yes, what you said, this is my dads body shop and a project I completed for him when he was down sick, it is a pain, it is expensive, it cannot to be beat if you looking for the best you can get.

24931_107603629280821_1240492_n.jpg?oh=8