What's the *best* way to heat the shop?

Vyrolan

I bought two of these little heaters off amazon. I hung one over my workbench, and the other is still in the box. Two reasons... I can't figure out where I want to hang it, and the one is doing a good job. When it gets really cold, I fire up the torpedo and let it run for a half hour then turn on the little one. Keeps me comfortable.

Why did I buy these? Well, they're cheap and I'll be moving soon and didn't want to toss a ton of money into heat.

Howard Berger Ceiling-Mount Quartz Heater - 5120 BTU, 1500 Watts, Model# 125115 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R686FQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_cVCQub19Q8ZRP

A couple of companies I've talked to have been very particular about what they're willing to put in the garage because woodworking is going on.  I think they have insurance-fueled paranoia about exploding wood dust.

Even at Mike's original quote of over 2K, I would start looking at the mini splits just because I greatly value cooling in the summer. =p

Have you gotten a quote for a mini split installed?  The last time I did it was $4 or $5K, IIRC. 

I did...I have the hardcopy at home, but if I remember correctly it was right around 3K.  That was assuming I had already done the electrical work to have power for it which will be true if I bite the bullet and run a sub panel to the garage.  

Edit: Nevermind I have them on my phone...it was $2700 installed for one of the Mitsubishi ones with 1 year labor warranty from installer and 7 years parts+compressor from  Mistubishi...could up the parts+labor warranty to 10 years through installer for $250 more.   It was one of the high-efficiency models (heating available down well below 0F) but only a 9000 BTU one.  I don't expect my garage to be 68 when it's -5 outside nor do I expect it to be 64 when it's 105 outside...so I asked for the smallest one that would do a reasonable job.   The designer/estimator guy seemed to think the 9000 BTU one would have no problem at all in that space and would heat it up and cool it off quick.

I think going to the 12K unit instead of 9K would only add 200-300 to mine...so it would be around 3K but that's dependent on sub panel in the garage with extra capacity for it.   The best quote I have for running an 80-amp sub panel to my garage is like $1,735...that's not too bad I guess.