Wedding box journal

Brendon_t

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finishing Was done and looked great. Last thing to do was to attach the top two hinges for the lid onto the box side. What can go wrong?

Apparently, anything. The remaining full sized screw left on the left hinge (since I snapped the other one off being he-man) decided to gracefully pop the head off when I had about 1/16 of a turn left.

So what's the fix? I can't keep the hinge in that location, it has to be moved in or out meaning the other side also must move the same distance and the hinge mortises in the lid will have to be filled then re cut to match the box mortise location.

I'm pretty bummed. Gunna take the night to ponder and be hateful then tackle it over the weekend.

The first finishing process I think went well and I had to screw it up with 4 patches after the fact. Ugh.

Just some food for thought for the future..  Run a steel screw in the holes first to set the threads and then come back with the softer brass (or nickel, etc) screws that came with the hinge.  And, as always, predrill.  That's where those self centered bits come in handy.

Not too sure what to suggest for a fix..  Can you post a pic?  I'm sure the smart folks here can help you find a solution..

Keep your chin up bud!  A bad day in the shop is still better than a good day at work  ;)

Hey kev, here's the weird thing. I set the threads with the steel screw, had a bit of wax on the threads, and took it super slow with the screw driver. The brass just gave out.I even bought another set of brusso screws since the in and out has made the screws a bit ugly.

Hey kev, here's the weird thing. I set the threads with the steel screw, had a bit of wax on the threads, and took it super slow with the screw driver. The brass just gave out.I even bought another set of brusso screws since the in and out has made the screws a bit ugly.

Wow..  That is weird.  Sounds like you did everything right and just got some soft screws.

Use a chisel, dremel, or possibly other tools to excavate out enough wood to expose the screw.

Keep all chopping and drilling within the space where the hinge will sit.

Twist out the offending screw(s) with needle nose pliers.

Square up the ragged hole and glue in a little block of wood to fill.