10 % in eighty days.

Brendon_t

Last week, hanging with a buddy, he had some customers come over and pick up some ash planks that I remember him milling just a few months ago. I asked him why he was selling it already before it was dried. He smiled and told me it was dried already. Calling BS as it hadn't even been 3 months yet, he grabbed a 6/4 stick, cut about a foot off and handed me his moisture meter. 11%. Not believing it I grabbed mine, 10%. How is that possible without a kiln?

The tree was a landscape cut down. Living when felled. Sat for 30 days in the yard then cut.

Each stack is stickered and stacked under this thick white plastic siding looking stuff.

Most moisture meters will read only as deep as the pins go in. Just because it's 10% an eighth inch under the surface doesn't mean it's 10% in the center. Those meters are largely unreliable and I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong. Of course it's warm and bone dry in CA so it's not impossible...but I kind of doubt it.

The measurements were taken on a freshly cut end, one foot in, at the center of the plank with needle buried. His was an analog type Meter, mine is a digital one I got at woodcraft somewhere in the $45 range.

Our normal humidity sits between 10 and 20 %, 340 days per year. It is a desert

Well then I guess you've found the one benefit of living in the desert...

No way those boards would be dry in 80 days of St. Louis jungle air. The owner of my lumberyard has some stock that he had milled and stacked and stickered back in February...you can still see visible moisture in the center when you crosscut a 4/4 board...no moisture meter needed. Still green.

Probably helps it was ash...the very open pores probably helped with the rapid loss of moisture.

Well then I've guess you've found the one benefit of living in the desert...

No way those boards would be dry in 80 days of St. Louis jungle air.  The owner of my lumberyard has some stock that he had milled and stacked and stickered back in February...you can still see visible moisture in the center when you crosscut a 4/4 board...no moisture meter needed.  Still green.

Probably helps it was ash...the very open pores probably helped with the rapid loss of moisture.

One benefit?!

What about the "dry heat"?

:)

...it makes your undies a lot less moist

Well then I've guess you've found the one benefit of living in the desert...

No way those boards would be dry in 80 days of St. Louis jungle air.  The owner of my lumberyard has some stock that he had milled and stacked and stickered back in February...you can still see visible moisture in the center when you crosscut a 4/4 board...no moisture meter needed.  Still green.

It's rained so much in Northern VA the lumber in my shop is thinking about becoming a tree again. 

• Like 2

Also I believe that ash starts out with a pretty low moisture content when green as compared to most species.  I never verified that myself, but have been told it many times back when we were heating the house with wood.  I do recall that it seemed to burn somewhat ok when green and dried pretty fast.