Jointer set up

trz

Well, finally got back out to the shop to do some adjusting to my jointer( delta 6" 37-190) .

New straight edge, new engineers square.

Laying the straight edge across both tables the outfeed table and the far end of the infeed table (end furthest from the cutter head) are flat inline but there's about 8thous. Low on the infeed table by the cutter head.

Shim the infeed table or readjust the outfeed table??

In my research I've seen advice going both ways!

Do i need to know witch table the cutter head is inline with first?

Owners manual is usless in this regard!

==>Laying the straight edge across both tables the outfeed table and the far end of the infeed table (end furthest from the cutter head) are flat inline but there's about 8thous. Low on the infeed table by the cutter head.

Want to be clear on this observation. It drives a setup procedure that's rather involved and don't want to go there if we don't have to....

Let me restate to see if I have it...

So you placed a straight edge across the tables in the front, center and rear... In each location, you used feeler gauges to verify the tables are co-planer plus or minus a thou.

Although the tables are co-planer, the front edge of the infeed table is uniformly 8thou below the cutting arc of the cutterblock or the arc of the cutterblock+knives?

To this point, I've restated my understanding of your initial observation... Is this correct so far?

Next questions...

What is the protrusion of the knives -- approx? It should be between 50 and 70 thou above the arc of the cutterblock....

Are the knives all in-plane and at the same height relative to the cutting arc? Front, center, rear?

What is the height of the outfeed table relative to the cutting arc? Is it also 8thou low?

If you can see the table adjustments -- are any 'bottomed-out' -- i.e. is there reasonable adjustment remaining (say plus/minus 10thou) in each adjustment?

Do you have shim stock?

Good clarification... We need to be precise to make this sort of thing work remotely...

No need to replace the blades -- for now...

So my restating of your situation is correct, but relative to the top of the cutterblock? And the outfeed table is where?

Not sure if this answers the question of "where" but if i lay a straight edge on the outfeed table and span the cutterhead the blades will move the SE about 3/32".

That's consistant with all three blades and from front to back!

The 8 thou low at the cutter head end of the infeed was consistant from front to back also!