Does hide glue stick to epoxy?

Doomwolf

A friend has asked me to do some work on an old chair. The arms were really rickety and had been badly repaired in the past. Where the arm meets the back the arm had split on both sides and been repaired with nails. I couldn't get all the metal out, and so the only safe spot to drill is the gaping dowel holes. If I fill the holes with epoxy and redrill to the correct dowel size, will hide glue adhere to epoxy? The only other options at the moment are yellow glue, which I understand won't work, or getting more 5-minute epoxy, which is a very short open time and not reversible if something goes wrong.

Edited by Doomwolf
Typo

I'm with Kev, use a clear epoxy mix (which is usually determined by the hardener) and use it through the entire repair process.   I'm most familiar with West System epoxy so that's what I'll comment on (there are others), if you use their 207 hardener the epoxy will cure pretty much water clear..  Clean up any excess squeeze out with acetone before it cures and you'll be golden.  

I have yet to run into any kind of finish that does not work on top of this epoxy (most epoxies in general)..

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hide glue is very sticky and will stick to nitrile gloves while PVA does not, but RPCV is right.  You could even glue the repair in with hide glue, too, if you're worried about adhesion between various types of glue, although any reversing of the chair joint will remove the repair.  That might not be a bad thing.