Cabinet Finishing Help

boelkers

I've been building a full closet cabinet system for my wife and I'm getting closer to the finishing time of the project and I could use some help.  The cabinets are built out of 3/4 pine ply with 1/4 backing.  The face frames and drawers are being built out of pine.  I hope to have the drawers and face frames done in the next week or two depending on my shop time.

I built these with the intention of painting them white as that is what she wanted.  What kind of finish can I use to make them white and also be durable and smooth?  I don't have a sprayer so I know that will more than likely limit my options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If paint is the route you wanna go, just prime and paint them.  I don't use a topcoat on paint - I just let paint be paint.

i would go with a high quality primer (zinnser) and then go Benjamin Moore paint.  I really like the water based line of both these products (regal select for benj Moore).

Another advantage of paint is that you can caulk along the walls for a perfect fir so you don't need to scribe perfectly like with stain grade stuff.

If paint is the route you wanna go, just prime and paint them.  I don't use a topcoat on paint - I just let paint be paint.

i would go with a high quality primer (zinnser) and then go Benjamin Moore paint.  I really like the water based line of both these products (regal select for benj Moore).

Another advantage of paint is that you can caulk along the walls for a perfect fir so you don't need to scribe perfectly like with stain grade stuff.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I was looking online today and found an article on This Old House that discussed painting cabinets.  Their instructions were to sand, prime, light sand, and then apply 1-2 coats of paint.  No sealer involved in this process either.  Their instructions were for old cabinets, but I believe this process would work for new cabinets as well.  

Do you have any further recommendations on going any other route besides paint that I could do in making the surface white or would using paint produce the best results?

2 - 3 coats of general finishes milk paint.  No primer needed, still lets the texture of the wood grain come through and is tuff as nails..  Some recommend using high performance topcoat, but using that over a white(ish) color has always made the surface yellow for me  I've had best results painting and calling it done.  

Edited by AMiller Woodworking