Bleeding Dye Stain and Shellac

Jason Hotze

So I'm finishing a table and the only way I could match the color they wanted is with a general finishes dye stain mixture, shellac seal coat thinned a little another stain color and then the poly. This method was pretty easy on my two test pieces I did but on the large table pieces the shellac is bleeding the dye around a lot. I knew it would pull some of the color but this is leaving distinct start and stop lines. The table is 8' by 40" so just running a smooth brush stroke is easier said than done. Am I missing something or should I just have sprayed all these coats and not messed with it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the dye alcohol soluable? If so, shellac will re-activate it, since it is also dissolved in alcohol. Spraying the shellac sounds like the best bet, and make sure it is fully cured before the second dye coat.

Come to think if it, dyes can be used to tint shellac. How about mixing the dye in the shellac, and spraying all at once?

Haha we'll probably less the size of balls and more the lack of ever using this technique and finishing schedule. I am using the biggest foam brush I could find. I think it's 6" wide. The reason that I'm using the shellac in the first place is to seal the dye stain. I then have another color stain that goes on this and then poly. It's way over complicated but this customer was super picky about the color and this was the only

Combination that appeased them. It worked great on my test pieces but obviously didn't have the drying issue on a small piece.

I'm thinking spraying is the only way to go for the top of the table. The picture is the underside.

So I sprayed the dye stain and the shellac and it worked amazing! Not a single bit of running color. The shellac comes out in such a mist that it was hard to tell if I had enough of a coat on. I was afraid to turn the fluid up cause if I got to much I couldn't wipe it back without running the color. But I just kept spraying and waiting a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and am pretty sure I got a good coat on there.

And after bringing a piece from the house out to the garage and comparing the two the top took the color WAYYY darker than the rest. So looks like it's back to bare wood and then hand applying the dye stain and then spraying the shellac to prevent the running.. I didn't realize spraying the dye stain would affect the color so drastically

Dyes are what I use when I want to be able to sneak up on an intensity.  In my experience, pigment stains reach a certain intensity and then don't really benefit from additional coats as far as darkening or intensifying the color goes. Each additional coat or additional volume of dye darkens the previous coat until saturation is reached.  Your sprayed dye volume was probably greater than your brushed volume unless you have a killer brush and technique.

I am fascinated by Jewitt, Dresdner, Gedrys and others that seem to be able to make a finish do whatever they want it too.  If I live an exceptionally long time I may acquire a 10th of their skill.  For now I have to carefully add specific protocols to my knowledge base.  I have learned to never, never try something new on an actual piece until I've done it on a mock-up that has had identical surface preparation a couple of times.

if you can, its best to use the dye toned top coat or sealer to get up to color then final top coat.. light coats are always better than one heavy coat be it color or top coat. and i also applaud the dresdners and jewitts out there..