Jointer question/help needed

Griff

I currently have a 6" porter cable bench top jointer which I really like and it works great but I've been trying to decide whether to buy a 8" floor model? What's the main difference with bench top vs. floor? Also I don't have a drill press yet would you just hold off on upgrading the jointer and go for a drill press? I have the 4 main staples for a shop just trying to add more tools that would increase productivity. What kinda tools do you guys recommend?

The difference between a bench top jointer and a 8" floor model is like comparing a rusted out Volkswagen bug and a  Cadillac . An 8" with a spiral head would be more like a BMW.

Several brands are well made, several brands have gathered complaints. I can't speak to either as my jointer is a 6" Jet with 3 straight knives.

There aren't four main staples for a wood shop, there are five, and drill press is not one of them.  I call them "The Big Five" and they are: table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, router table.  If you don't have all of those machines then the drill press is a premature purchase.  But once you do have those machines, I would buy the drill press before upgrading the jointer since you say it works well and 6" capacity is not that bad.  Lots of hobbyists use that size forever and build great stuff.

Anyway, your question is a can o' worms and you're gonna get a million different opinions.  That was mine.

• Like 2

Usually a benchtop jointer has a brushed motor (noisy) floor model has an induction motor (quiet).

Benchtop you can not create rebates or as the North Americans say, Rabets. These can be done on a floor model but don't advise it. Helical heads are nice. Have a look at my recent post if you want to about my new floor model. 

If your current jointer is working for you I would rock that thing until it became a restriction.  Having large scale tools you don't require (or any for that matter) just robs you of workspace. I would focus your spending on the tool that you find missing or lacking ?

• Like 1

On July 20, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Eric. said:

There aren't four main staples for a wood shop, there are five, and drill press is not one of them.  I call them "The Big Five" and they are: table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, router table.  If you don't have all of those machines then the drill press is a premature purchase.  But once you do have those machines, I would buy the drill press before upgrading the jointer since you say it works well and 6" capacity is not that bad.  Lots of hobbyists use that size forever and build great stuff.

Anyway, your question is a can o' worms and you're gonna get a million different opinions.  That was mine.

Thank Eric I do have the router table. What are some good drill press for a small budget in your opinion?

On July 21, 2016 at 8:20 AM, davestanton said:

Usually a benchtop jointer has a brushed motor (noisy) floor model has an induction motor (quiet).

Benchtop you can not create rebates or as the North Americans say, Rabets. These can be done on a floor model but don't advise it. Helical heads are nice. Have a look at my recent post if you want to about my new floor model. 

It definitely is loud I actually think it's my loudest tool! It's the only tool I wear hearing protection with. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Thank Eric I do have the router table. What are some good drill press for a small budget in your opinion?

I'm not really the best guy to ask about budget anything when it comes to tools...I tend to buy the stuff I want because I like good stuff.  This one that Tom got is a great looking machine for a great price...and it's cheaper than the Powermatic so that makes it "budget," right? :D

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JDP-17-Drill-Press/dp/B00NF6P8PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469221080&sr=8-1&keywords=jet+drill+press

71Z2yO%2Bv09L._SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm not really the best guy to ask about budget anything when it comes to tools...I tend to buy the stuff I want because I like good stuff.  This one that Tom got is a great looking machine for a great price...and it's cheaper than the Powermatic so that makes it "budget," right? :D

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JDP-17-Drill-Press/dp/B00NF6P8PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469221080&sr=8-1&keywords=jet+drill+press

71Z2yO%2Bv09L._SL1500_.jpg

Lol I dream of having a powermatic table saw one day!! I'm a fan of JET tools also I don't have any but my grand father has a JET table saw and a JET 8" jointer or at least I think it's a 8" definitely bigger than 6"! I just know powermatic is top of the line! Never had the privilege of using any powermatic tools yet ether!