Oil based poly with low VOC's

prov163

I've been trying to figure out what it has been about my projects that just bugged me. I figured it out tonight. I started using a water based poly earlier this year, trying to minimize my exposure to VOCs and other toxic stuff. I had a couple of really small pieces I was doing so I grabbed my oil based wipe on poly and WOW!  They look awesome with just the first coat (more to be added) and applying it was so much easier. I'm not a big fan of the smell (sometimes I bring things in the house to dry so I can work on other projects in the shop) and cure time.

Is there a "less toxic" oil based poly you guys have found that you really like?  I've heard a little about Tried and True, but wonder what actual experience is?  Marc had something new a couple of weeks ago so I'm watching for a review/opinion from him at some point. Thoughts?

I am a big fan of water based finish, but I know what you are talking about!  A nice coat of oil wipe on poly looks great on walnut or cherry - gives it a warm glow.

Marc did a video a while back on warming up water based finishes.  I think he used a coat of BLO underneath the water based, and his test boards came out great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pug said:

I am a big fan of water based finish, but I know what you are talking about!  A nice coat of oil wipe on poly looks great on walnut or cherry - gives it a warm glow.

Marc did a video a while back on warming up water based finishes.  I think he used a coat of BLO underneath the water based, and his test boards came out great.

He did a couple things, but if I recall correctly, it was the shellac underneath water-bourne that looked best. Or maybe that's just what looked best to me. 

Sorry but water-based will never bring wood to life like oil-based does.  At least not with the current formulations.  At least I've never seen it.

If VOCs are scary to you, I get it.  If you're working with maple and you wanna keep it stark white, I get it.  Otherwise, I don't get it.  Oil makes wood look better than water.  Period.  Play with shellac maybe?  Better looking than water, not as good as oil, IMO.  But not nearly as toxic as oil and you can still spray.

The other thing about water based....you have to deal with raised grain.  Ptooey on that!

• Like 1

I far prefer water based on white oak, maple, and ash.  I don't like the yellow look at all.

When adding colour to ash or white oak, I use water based dye, followed by water based poly (I never add colour to maple).

For other species, I will often use wipe on poly (oil), which I love.  Looks great on walnut and cherry especially.

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

Perhaps my discouragement with waterbased poly is I'm using the wrong brand.  I'm using Cabot, which is what my local guy had in stock.  It just doesn't give that "pop" to the grain that the regular oil based poly does.  Suggestions?

I've only seen Cabot as deck stain/finish, not sure it's really formulated for furniture work.

Eric, you're right about the end result.  What started this off was I made something for my wife to give away and decided to batch out a couple more while I was at it.  I was concerned about how old the wb poly I had was so I grabbed my can of Minwax wipe on poly and a clean rag.  Boom!  After the first stroke I was smiling.  I have a small 12x24 shop and when I finish I open the door, have a fan running and wear a 3M respirator but the filters aren't specific to finishing.  I guess I'm fairly safe as long as I'm wiping or brushing but I want to spray more often and I'm concerned that spraying will change the paradigm.  I might be able to spray outside occasionally but most of the time I'm working inside - and winter is coming.  I don't want to over or underestimate the dangers of working with VOCs. Haven't had much luck with shellac but I probably didn't thin it enough and I was using the Zinsser dewaxed can stuff.  Just watched a Pekovich video on making shellac with flakes so I may make a trip to HWW :D and buy some to play with.

I have a can of GF wb exterior 450 which is okay on outdoor projects.  While I'm at HWW I'll look at their selection of GF wb poly.