Rear Top Width

Kevmc

After much work in the evening this week I got all my boards for the top milled up and I am jazzed they came out pretty square and flat Given the length of the boards I am counting that a pretty good success.

Maybe this is being overly nitpicky but given the expense of the project it terms of my time and money I wanted to get everyones opinion before I drive on

I milled up all my top boards and the width of the rear table with 7 boards is 10 7/8 or 1/4 shy of the plan dimensions. I think I have 2 choices. The easiest is to leave it at that and make the gap stop a 1/4 inch thicker.

The other choice is to either get another 8/8 board or mill the smallest board down some more and get an eight piece of 4/4 maple

Any recommendations as the best coarse of action.

Thanks

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in following the plan dimensions and instead just go with what you have for the back slab. If it makes you feel better to have everything to plan dimensions then make the gap stop wider by the needed amount, but otherwise there's no compelling reason to go out of your way to do so.

I agree with everybody, don't stress about hitting the plan dimensions exactly on the top size. Of course, there are places where the dimensions matter, but this isn't one of them.

A wider gap stop is a good solution, but if you haven't milled up your front slab yet you could always add the 1/4" to the front slab too. Of course, that changes the endcap slightly.

Go with whatever you want here. There are no rules to these dimensions. See what size you can utilize best and go with that. Note:: If you use jorgensen cabinet clamps you are going to want you gap stop to be a little bigger, being thatt there jaws are a little wider than Jet and Bessey. I think I am going with a 2 1/4" gap stop to accomodate. I don't want to be in the middle of a glue-up and have to fight with getting a clamp through a tight hole. I don't even know yet what size my bench is going to be and I am making legs at the present time. Just follow the progression of steps as Marc shows and it doesn't really matter what size the bench is because you will marking everything that follows off of what is already completed, if of course, you are building the base first.

KAISER OUT !!!!