Craftsman -vs- Ridgid table saws

Dave F

I know that the new Ridgid 4512 table saw, due to hit the streets shortly, is essentailly the same saw at the Craftsman 21833. But I was on the Sears site earlier and saw this model that I had not seen listed before..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922114000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

To my eye it looks very similar to the now discontinued Ridgid 4511 albeit with a steel top instead of marble. Am I wrong here? Those of you who have the 4511 please let me know what you think. I'd love a 4511 but I can't find one anywhere. I've tried to be patient and wait for the new 4512's to become available but I could have had three projects done by now if I would have purchased the Craftsman 21833 when they were on sale a month ago. The OR35505 is almost twice the cost of the 21833, so I think between the two I'll stick with the 21833.

Oh what to do, what to do....

I don't think that the more expensive Craftsman has a riving knife, which, at least to me, is pretty important in a new saw purchase.

I had a 21883 for awhile, but something was most definitely wrong with mine so I ended up returning it. I've seen lots of reports from people who really like theirs. I'm guessing the one big advantage the Ridgid will have is their lifetime service agreement, if they offer that on the saw.

This saw does seem very similar to my R4511, I think that the same manufacturer makes them for Ridgid, Craftsman, and Steelcity.

The biggest turnoff for me would be the warranty, one year vs. the lifetime warranty that Ridgid offers. Another thing is that it's a Craftsman or "crapsman" as a lot of us call them. I just haven't had any luck with any thing but their hand tools, their powertools always laydown on me 4 or 5 months after I buy one and it takes an "act of congress" to get a replacement. Although I'm not that impressed with the new R4512 saw that Ridgid is rolling out. I think that they should have taken the R4511 put on a castiron top, put on a better riving knife/blade guard, and a better t-square type fence with a one piece rail and a better dust collection solution. Stuck it in a crate and started selling them. But I guess that Ridgid doesn't listen to their customers. So that was my 2 Cents.

In my view if I would invest in that much real estate in my garage I would consider the soft stop for sure http://www.amazon.com/SawStop-Contractor-CNS175-SFA30-10-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B003K2Y6ZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284926649&sr=8-1

I have a Bosch saw in my garage and I like the fact that is extremely portable. I bust my panels with my Festool TS 75 and kiss it with the Bosch if I need super accuracy.

Today I would buy the Soft Stop. Safety. Fingers ... Kids.

But ... if you are absolutely fixed on your budget that is OK too.

no, it's not the same saw as the 4511, different truinions, different warranty. currently the 28133 seems to have some arbor issues, not sure if it's addressed already in new shipments. 4512 being the same saw may experience same issues. warranty and prompt customer service (as in if they'll deliver replacement saw and pick up defected one in case you run into problems) would be the winner, and so far Ridgid seems to be pretty good with that.

As for "soft stop" - I haven't heard of that one yet, but SawStop recently made a 1.75HP model of their professional saw, though that is definitely more $$$ at ~$2K compared to the $500 range for the ridgid/craftsman ;)

The Craftsman 22114 came out in 2004, and preceeded the R4511. It was part of a series of 3 saws (22104, 22114, 22124), that became known as the "zipcode" saws on the forums due to their model numbers resembling a zipcode. These were made by Steel City's Orion subsidiary, the same company who made the Ridgid R4511 and the current Craftsman 22116, and I suspect that they also make the new General International 50-240GT. The zipcode saws were very well regarded (Crapsman logo or not), and have a large happy following...especially the 22124. They have cabinet mounted trunnions, but no riving knife. The 22124 actually came with a stock Biesemeyer Commercial fence, but has been discontinued and replaced by the 22116 that does have a riving knife...the 22104 was discontinued a few years ago. The fence on the 22114 is functional but isn't in the same league as a Biese IMO. It does have solid cast iron wings, and goes on sale at more attractive pricing fairly often.

There is an aftermarket retrofit riving knife that will fit the the zipcode saws...it's called the Bolt On Ripping Knife (BORK) from Walnut Acres Woodworking. Once fitted with a custom ZCI it works great. Bob Ross is a great guy to deal with.