Yet Another Endgrain Cutting board - my first!

j_abella

I am just getting my first real wood shop setup in my new home and this is first project I made it that isn't for the woodshop. The ever popular end grain cutting board. I actually made two of them, one thick 2"and one then 1". I used Walnut, Cherry and Maple.

Next items will be some bee keeping equipment, nuks, hive stand and assemble some frames and seal some new garden hives. Then my next real project will be an attempt at a couple of Jake's Adirondack chairs.

-James

post-7551-0-59943500-1363501235_thumb.jp

Good luck with the bee hives. I have made components for our local honey farm and they keep some bees on my Dads Land. Never made a hive before. Do they tend to be made from Western Red Cedar? The guy we make the components for is really specific about sizes and notches, too big and mice get in, to small and bees can't get in. I would be really interested to see a finished hive. 

Sweet chopping board by the way.

• Like 1

Very nice board! Is your pup a working dog? Looks like he is in a harness.

Thank you, he was a guide dog in training during that picture.  My wife and I both raise seeing eye dogs for Guide Dogs of America, in fact thats how we met.  We have raised 6 dogs between us now.  Only about 35% actually make it through the entire program so we have three drop outs at home, Tonka, Cleo and Earl.

-James

post-7551-0-34962300-1363902842_thumb.jp

Good luck with the bee hives. I have made components for our local honey farm and they keep some bees on my Dads Land. Never made a hive before. Do they tend to be made from Western Red Cedar? The guy we make the components for is really specific about sizes and notches, too big and mice get in, to small and bees can't get in. I would be really interested to see a finished hive. 

Sweet chopping board by the way.

Thank you G S,   I don't attempt to make the hives themselves..too many dovetails for me and your right those exact measurements are for what we call "bee space".  Basically if you give them more than 3/8" they will fill it mess up on building comb and put it all over the place and fill in and make it so you can't pull out the frames/parts without destroying it. The stands and basis are make from cedar at least the good ones are, mostly the wood is pine for the hives themselves.  If you ever build anything for bees never finish the inside of the hive leave it raw.

Here is a great free collection of plans for building about anything you want for beekeeping http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/ you might want to play with.  I'll probably build a solar wax melter at some time. There are a number of designs over the years but the standard in the US is Langstroth hives.   I make what we call NUC which are nucleus hives that are much smaller typically 5 frames will fit into one and it's more for transporting, catching swarms, splits and raising queens.  Here are the plans for one of them, I've built it before but it's a fun simple project: http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/5-frame-nuc-d-coates-version/  I'm also making a hive stand to hold my hives.

-James

P.S. if I ever get a Shopbot I'll be making my own hives ;)