New guy from eastern Washington

Nyles

Hello everyone.  My name is Nyles and im 38 years old and hailing from eastern washington (the dry side of the state).  I am a Journeyman electrician by trade and fairly new to the woodworking scene.  I first became interested in woodworking about 9 years ago when i was working at a local lumberyard here in Spokane before getting into the electrical trade.   I used to sneak into the shop on my lunch breaks and build little knick knacks for my house.  One of my good friends was one of the shop guys and he started teaching me as I built various small things.  I knew i was bitten by the bug at the time so i went out and bought a whole shops worth of tools and was eagerly looking forward to really tackling some projects however before my tools could even be delivered to my house i found myself in the middle of a nasty split up between me and my ex.  That pretty much put everything on hold and since i had to move out of my home, and lost my currently available shop space, i placed everything into a storage unit where it all sat, brand new in the box untouched for about 7 years.  Well about 2 years ago me and my new wife (somewhat happily remaried at the moment ;-) )  got into a small home that had a detatched garage as well as a fairly large basement and in order to afford the new house we had to get rid of my storage unit.  I contemplated selling off the tools but decided against it since i had paid for the storage and the tools over the last 7 years i may as well keep them.  They sat in a pile still in the boxes in our current homes detatched garage for about 2 years before finally one day i was just itching to do something with my time (currently laid off and a stay at home dad for my 1 year old daughter.)  so i decided id take a few days and clean out the basement and set up a small wood shop (emphasis on the small shop.)  so several days later i had a space cleared but no benches to set anything up so i begged everyone in my family for cash for my birthday so i could build a few simple benches to get my tools up and running.  Its been about a month now and ive gotten everything set up and in place and even managed to knock out one of my largest projects to date.  A mahagony toy box for my daughters 1st birthday which was a big hit with everyone including the wife.    Ive only got a few projects under my belt over the last 9 years but ive got the wood bug bad.  My woodworking interests mostly include knick knacks and small pieces of furniture, nothing to elaborate or fancy.  I prefer hardwoods over sheet goods but accept the fact that sheetgoods are sometimes nesissary and occasionally i combine the two if the looks right.  I will post a few pics of my shop and tools in the shop section if anyones interested and i am happy to try and answer any electrical questions if i can.  I also would be interested in possibly meeting other people in the area as well seeing as we dont have a current guild that i am aware of.   I stumbled across TWW site while looking for plans for my benches and after lurking the most part of this last month i thought id post and introduce myself. Ive been really impressed with not only TWW stuff that marc's put out but the information and in general great attitude from the people on this forum. So here i am, thats my story and i cant think of much else to really say other then thanks marc, youve been an inspiration.

Nyles