Lie Nielsen miter plane

rodger.

I tried this plane while taking a woodworking lesson with Tom Fidgen a few weeks ago. I really liked it, and may buy one at an upcoming tool event near my home. The price is a bit steep, so I a considering it carefully!

Anyone have any comments on this tool that I may not have noticed in my limited use of it?

Hi Franklin,

That looks like an incredible tool. Do you really need it, will it make your work better, or is it just the pleasure of using a beautifully crafted tool? Have the planes you are using now let you down when shooting miters and end grain.

I use a Stanley 5 to shoot now, and it works well. The sheer mass and feel of the mitre plane made it a joy to use. I also really like dedicated grip for shooting. I guess to answer your question, its a WANT and not a NEED.

That's great, the pleasure of using something is a big part of the journey for many. You got any other LN products?

I'm afraid I do not. LN products are all mail order for me, and I find it difficult to buy a tool without getting my hands on it. The first hand tool event even remotely close to me is coming up in early april, so I may get a few items then. I have tried a few of their backsaws, as well as the mitre plane. The majority of my hand tools are veritas, with a few Stanley's in the mix as well.

I have never used one, which is good or I would probably be in the same drooling boat as you right now, but I do have a LN shoulder plane and I love it. I am also seriously thinking of buying one of their LA jackin the next year for shooting and all around versatility. To me it sounds like you just need the renforcement to talk you into buying it since you have already used one. as long as you dont have any other areas that are holding you back my thoughts are you worked for it and as long as your family has food on the table and money in the bank go for it. Woodworking is not only about the projects we make but the journey we take as we build, when you buy a new car you consider some comfort options and the hobby that you love which also provides heirloom furniture for your loved ones shouldn't be any different.

Nate

I tried this plane while taking a woodworking lesson with Tom Fidgen a few weeks ago. I really liked it, and may buy one at an upcoming tool event near my home. The price is a bit steep, so I a considering it carefully!

Anyone have any comments on this tool that I may not have noticed in my limited use of it?

I've had the LN #51 for a while and I like it very much. I use it with my Tico Vogt Super Chute. (Vogt Tool Works)

Tico is coming out soon with with a "No-Rock Runway" for the Super Chute, which should make it an even more precision instrument:

R-S-First-shavings-with-No-Rock.jpg

R-S-No.-51-on-a-plate.jpg

R-S-Plate-in-channel.jpg

The LN tool events that I've been to don't have planes for sale on-site. You can try everything they have to offer and get that hands on time prior to purchase, but you still need to purchase them online / mail order.

I did not consider this. Thanks for the heads up! I'll call ahead!

I've had the LN #51 for a while and I like it very much. I use it with my Tico Vogt Super Chute. (Vogt Tool Works)

Tico is coming out soon with with a "No-Rock Runway" for the Super Chute, which should make it an even more precision instrument:

Looks a good piece of work by Tico. Perhaps a bit overkill. I have a #51/52 and this has never required a locked in guide.

A few years ago I copied the fence on the #52 for my ramped shooting boards (which, incidentally, were the inspiration for Tico) ..

RunningFencefortheShootingBoard_html_1be

RunningFencefortheShootingBoard_html_m44

As it is adjustable, it can facilitate any plane being used ...

RunningFencefortheShootingBoard_html_27c

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/RunningFencefortheShootingBoard.html

The issue of "rock" is one of technique, that is, how you hold and push a plane on the shooting board. If you are rocking, then you are using the plane incorrectly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks a good piece of work by Tico. Perhaps a bit overkill. I have a #51/52 and this has never required a locked in guide.

A few years ago I copied the fence on the #52 for my ramped shooting boards (which, incidentally, were the inspiration for Tico) ..

... The issue of "rock" is one of technique, that is, how you hold and push a plane on the shooting board. If you are rocking, then you are using the plane incorrectly.

That's right, Derek, I remember that your early work was the inspiration for many of the currently available shooting board designs. And Tico has worked hard for the past few years, in an effort to refine the design.

As for technique, if I could do everything correcly I wouldn't need half the guides and jigs I have. :)