Can I add spar urethane to deck stain?

cornballbub

I would say myth. Wouldn't be very durable. I think to slide deck chairs, tables, BBQ, umbrella weights. Spar is a soft finish made to flex would probably damage easy and chairs very well could stick in or print the finish.

Some manufactures say no to spar coating on floors even outdoor decks.

-Ace-

Ace, I agree with you as a finish over the stain, but Im not sure if your hearing me....my bud advocates adding it to the stain, pre application. Comprede Amigo?

I read your post. Don't be offended. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. You can add super glue to a finish. Does it make it any better? Some will say yes some will say no! If your buddy thinks it helps make it more durable? Than fine. Define durable?

The chemistry of adding some of this to some of that can actually harm and weaken a finish.

-Ace-

IMO won't do a thing.  You're dealing with 2 different types of finish; a film forming protectant versus a penetrating that has some UV inhibitors mixed in..  I would guess that it would develop a flaky "fuzz" and fail prematurely..  Never tried it so wouldn't put money on it, but I'd never spend my money and effort on that kind of experiment <_<.  For an outside deck that is going to see some wear, a straight deck stain is about as good as your going to get :)..

Well if you listen to Tommy Silva instructions...he said "Varnish" not "Spar Urethane" The only reason I can think of adding varnish to the stain is to help speed the dry or to thicken the stain up some to keep it on the a pad applicator longer.

Or maybe those deck guys like to thin the stain out and it gets to watery so add varnish to thicken it up?????? Makes a gal of stain go longer? Some trick is going on?

I do not believe it is used to to "fortify"  the finish and make it more durable.

-Ace-

I noticed that they never gave a reason for adding the "varnish" . I'm not sure what it buys you either. I think you should add one part poly to add durability, one part Clorox to retard algae growth, one part Thompsons to repel dew in the mornings, one part deet so mosquitoes don't ruin your bbq, one part Ospho so the Clorox doesn't eat your fasteners up, and when it's all dry, spray with Pam so the food doesn't stick. You may have to repeat every three months, but my buddy says it works. 

• Like 1

==> thicken the stain up some to keep it on the a pad applicator longer.

+1

It's for the verticals.  We've got 2,800+sf of decking.  That's a lot of railing....  We go through 10 - 12 gals of Cabot Deck Stain each spring.  You add some varnish to thicken it up a bit to help application -- but that's all it does. 

I knew this was gonna be good, didn't realize it spark a firestorm.... :)

Anyone know a chemical engineer?

Tommy?...OK....Bob?...come on, chime in, anytime now....

Firestorm? Where?

Just good conversation. Hope your not trying to egg folks on? This forum isn't one of those. :)

-Ace-

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Instead of mixing in additives, just buy a deck stain that has it.  OLYMPIC ELITE, has oil and water based coatings with added urethane for scratch resistance and ADDED UV protection.  It is the same flexible urethane that is used to coat Titlest golf balls.

Working in the coatings, I have found, that you let chemists/ chemical engineers formulate the product, otherwise, like ACE said, one additive might take away from the durability or life of product, and now you are going backwards........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...