wood for custom work.

liv4motox

well,i am new to this so im trying to find out how much its worth.i usually sell it for firewood,which sells for $120 per cord. as far as size there is from 6inches around all the way to around 60 inches around. some of the larger ones can be cut in 6-8 ft. lengths.i will take pics this sunday when i go back out.just a rough count there is around 100 trees or more.i live in boise id and cut trees in oregon.where are you from?i will keep you posted,hopefully we can make this work.i also see i need to learn what to do as soon as i cut them to seal the wood , also mabey cut them into pen blanks? or are you just wanting a large piece?

If I was local, I'd want to buy freshly cut logs that I could cut and seal myself.  Unfortunately, the shipping charges for logs to North Carolina would be prohibitive.

There is an art to cutting and preserving wood for turning.  Since the pieces are quite thick, they take a long time to dry and tend to crack in not handled properly.

I'd suggest you find some local help.  I would start with contacting the local branch of the American Association of Woodturners.    There is a branch in Boise called the Southwest Idaho Woodturners Association   Web Site: www.swiwt.com.  They probably have several members that can help you and would probably be a good customers for your wood.  They might also want to purchase whole logs and cut them up themselves.

If you get to the point that you have some turning blanks for sale, I'd be interested in getting some for myself and my club.

Good Luck,

Mike

you can make pen blanks or bowl blanks.  do you know how to make bowl blanks and seal the wood? if you were closer i would come and buy some but to get it to illinois cost a ton of money to ship them.  but if you make bowl blanks and dry them you can probably sell 6"x3" bowl blanks for 10-20$ each