Exterior Shutters

Wareagle Todd

The wife is asking me about making some wood shutters for our house.

My questions are

1. My questions are What type of wood would you recommend to make the shutters out of and how would you mount these to a brick veneer.
  2. Given the photo below, how would you make these, I'm thinking that it is just a shaker door panel.
  3. What type of wood for the plywood center?.

The shutters will be painted.

Thanks for the assistance.

Todd

DSC08536-1.jpg

Hi Todd, I recently completed a set of 6 wooden shutters (as part of a final batch of 12!), and found the process fairly straightforward. Mine were made of New Guinea Cedar, which may or may not be available in your neck of the woods, but is anyway very similar to Red Cedar. You need something lightweight. Accuracy is critical in such a project-I have seen Incra rules used for all pertinent measurements, and this level of obsession would not be excessive, IMHO. Woodsmith Magazine did a fairly comprehensive article on shutter making a few years ago, and I have watched Norm's version on NYW for further info. Websites worth checking out are www.shuttermedic.com and www.portphillip.com.au but eventually you'll probably want to sit down and nut out all the critical dimensions for yourself. I'm assuming here that you wish to make your shutters able to be opened. Of prime importance is the distance between pivot pins as it relates to the width of each louvre/slat. I chose to activate the open/close mechanism with a central rod, and found that staples were useless, and noisy for the purpose. I ordered clever little plastic hinges for this from the portphillip website above. This is an Australian outlet, of course, but the very pleasant owner will mail anywhere in the world. As to painting them, I wanted mine natural and oiled them with good effect, but I'm advised that spraying them is the way to go-very fiddly and a bit more tedious. To mount them onto brick would suggest some sort of wooden frame, if only to ensure your hinges line up more easily. Please don't hesitate to post again if I can be of any further help. Oh, and G'day from Down Under! Gezdog

I've tried to insert it from Photobucket but i am having problems. The photos are 450x600 and still getting errors.

Go to the photobucket page and look on the left hand side. There is a little box that says "share this image." click the "direct link" and it will say "copied". Click on the insert image button when adding to your post, and insert that url. just hit "Ctrl-V" That should work for ya..