New Lie-Nielsen tools! Review to follow.

Llama

Ah, what the sophisticated woodworker is using this year! Wear an apron and carry a Blue Spruce mallet (to paraphrase Theodore Roosevelt).

Must be me, but I keep admiring that gorgeous Jack - the one made last century.

There are only a couple of problems here, one, you have to explain to the family why you're publishing a photograph of a ... well, a mallet, and two, we have to explain to our families why we're looking at a photograph of a ... well, a mallet.

I received a carver's mallet from a fellow woodworker - which makes it pretty special. It's very easy to use with a mortising chisel or normal chisel, you don't need much force, or thoughtful precision with the hit. Close to centre is good enough.

You'll enjoy the BU Jack - I had the chance to try one last year on some Beech (not steamed). The Jack struggled, but the BU Jack sailed through without a hitch.

I await the next arrival ... boots perhaps?

John

I am fortunate to be married to a wonderfully tolerant woman. She is happy that I am happy. She was amused that I posted a picture of the mallet on Facebook. Possibly more amused to see the two jack planes side by side, while my friends were reciting lyrics from AC/DC's "The Jack".

She is aware of my passion for nice things. You should see my pool cues :)

I enjoy having nice things. I especially enjoy working with nice tools. Tools that make me smile every time I see them. I still grin like a child on Christmas morning when I walk into my shop and see my tools as I open the door. To me, that makes the cost well worth it.

As for the boots, I usually were sandals in the shop.

As for the boots, I usually were sandals in the shop.

Can't argue with your philosophy on tools - and I can certainly appreciate the feeling you get learning to master them, but as for the footwear... You've probably already read about mishap, and I've had a chisel roll off the bench - once. Temperatures here are running at nearly 35°C right now, but I always wear a pair of sturdy boots.

They might cause me to lose friends, but hopefully I won't lose anything else in the workshop... Plus there's the 'looks the job' factor, like your apron.

John

That is very good advice.

In all of my years as a millwright and machinist I have been injured once. I am fortunate that it was a very minor incident, but nonetheless it happened.

A large part of my love for hand tools is that it is inherently safer. I sometimes need a reminder that accidents can happen at any time.

Thank you.

My large router plane arrived yesterday. I haven't had the chance to use it yet... It is larger than I anticipated. I've used small ones in the past, bit this is a first for the larger one. It has a very good weight, making it stable. The adjustments are excellent. Very precise depth stop.

Mallet update: Wow! If you're on the fence with this mallet, don't wait another second! I know the price may seem rather steep considering those green ones are less than half of the price of this one, but once I grabbed the Blue Spruce mallet I felt much more comfortable. The hit require less effort than other mallets I've tried. I attribute this to the balance. Very well made, I spent some time making square holes, and the work was rather pleasant. And it's just a beautiful tool.

I ordered a #49 and was told that there would be a 3 week delay, ie, they had to make another batch. Tomorrow will mark week 5 with no #49!!!!  I would think that a company of their size would keep a dozen rough castings on hand, so these type of things don't happen. That way, when they get low on a tool inventory they don't have to wait on the foundry to cast new ones. Plus having the tool in a rough state wouldn't effect their bottom line as bad as a finished tool on a shelf.

Still love my L.N. Tools, Just getting a little/lot P.O. :(   :)

I've been waiting for a mortising chisel for a couple of weeks. It is odd... It is in the mail now, but I wasn't happy at first. On the other hand, you can add items to your order and effectively get free shipping. My router plane was also delayed, but it was perfect when it arrived.

Things happen. I agree they should have some in stock in various states.