New Lie-Nielsen tools! Review to follow.

Llama

There are plenty of threads about what to buy and similar. So, here is something slightly different. I just ordered some new tools and I will provide an honest review of them. I am super excited to see these come my way!

I ordered the Lie-Nielsen low angle jack, the large router with closed throat and a carcass saw.

This is in addition to my recent eBay wins. I "won" a LN scub plane and an edge trimming plane.

I already have a small bronze block plane (my first LN tool), a dovetail saw, the side rabbet planes a few bevel edge chisels and the LN #2.

I also have the LN shop apron, shirt and hat :)

Yes, I am a huge LN fan.

My mortising chisels are on back order.

I will be sure to follow up with an honest review of the tools.

This review I want to see. Do you use the #2 to iron them? :ph34r:

John

Lol. I will say the shirt and hat work exactly as described! :)

The apron is much nicer than I anticipated. Soft yet durable leather, has a pocket on the inside for very small things. It does a good job of keeping my clothes clean too.

Honestly, I bought the #2 from Craigslist. I got a very good deal on it. I use it for small table legs and such. It is a very small tool, I use a two finger grip on it. Does a great job :)

Hopefully all these purchases won't mean you have to use the tools to build yourself a dog house.

I am blessed to have an extremely supportive wife who loves me for who I am. I am truly the happiest married guy I know. I sincerely mean that. 

On an unrelated note, you should see her handbag collection! Whoa! lol... I should build her a display cabinet for them! 

The LN scrub and side trimming planes arrived today from eBay.

The scrub is a lot lighter than I anticipated. This is good because l gave it a workout and I was able to get a bad board flat enough to move forward without much effort.

The side trimming plane is an odd duck. First, the plane has a good weight and the fence is perfectly 90 degrees to the blade. I like this plane, but the adjustment is finicky. Perhaps I'm just no used to the style of adjuster. Plus I have large hands, which makes reaching for the lever awkward. Having said that, I was able to get the blade set properly and take some wonderful full thick 3/4" shavings in mahogany.

As a quick test, I ran the scrub over the edge of the board, and cleaned it up with the trimming plane. Obviously in real life I would have used other methods. The trimming plane was able to clean up the edge with no trouble at all. Very nice! I am glad to have both of these planes in my shop.

I hope my other tools arrive soon! And I still haven't heard from Blue Spruce... I think they have a show coming up, but an email on the status of my mallet would be nice.

994524_10201554168084234_1652124048_n.jp

I wanted to make a quick note...

I was reading an article that Chris Schwarz wrote a few years ago. It didn't make a lot of sense until I tried it...

He suggested that the scrub plane was invented to remove stock from the edge of the board (width). This makes sense because a slim rip cut is difficult to keep straight, and the scrub does such a great job at reducing the width of the board. 

Anyway, try it out. I was able to reduce the width of the board a good amount with very little effort, and the edges cleaned up very nicely with the side trimming plane. I finished with a small smoother, my #2, which took a whisper thin full width shaving leaving a very nice surface. I rubbed the shavings over the freshly planed edge to burnish it a little. Glass smooth with little effort. No sanding, no spinning blades, super accurate too.

Hello Mel,

Thanks for posting the pics. Quite a collection you have building up there, nice to see some Stanley's still in the mix  :). The scrub is not often mentioned in the older joinery books I have. Normally just a Jack with a cambered iron is used for initial prep. I have read about a "Bismark" plane which I think is one of these  which is used in the same way as a scrub. There is sometimes mention of a scrub type plane which always seems to be used for cleaning up dirty, twisted and gnarly wood to something like straight before bringing the Jack to the party. A uk tool supplier mentions that a scrub can be used for scribing and shaping skirting/trims to uneven walls.

Whats the next project? Those guitars of yours were something else.

Thank you!

I saw the idea of a scrub used for removing stock to make the boards thinner in width by The Schwarz. Works well. Just be careful on curly maple... Ask me how I know that :)

I plan on making a proper tool cabinet once the others arrive.

After that, I will make some more shaker inspired tables, and the pine cabinet Dunbar did in fine woodworking.

Correct me if my recollection is faulty.  I believe that the scrub was mainly used on the continent - Germany etc.  That's why it wasn't mentioned in the English books I'm most familiar with - Moxon, Nicholson.  Not sure if it was used as a coarse removal tool on faces or just edges in the German correction.  Maybe someone who actually knows what they're talking about will follow up on my post.

Great grandfather was a German trained cabinet maker (accomplishment level more than trade worked.) Scrub in my family upbringing was heavily cambered, open mouthed, and used for de-ridging split timbers along the length. Scrub the ridges length wise, jack to completion width wise, smooth and joint length wise. This is very similar to reducing a board width wise as you would not expect full width of iron shavings over narrower strips.

PS, never used a scrub much on sawn lumber, just split.

C, by the book I think your right. Most sawn timbers these days don't need a scrub unless, like you say your dealing with split wood or very uneven dirty wood . That said it's a very versatile tool and would be very welcome in my tool chest. I've toyed with making an improvised scrub but like so many others things time is the factor. However the bench is almost ready to go  ;)

Tony, I think your right too (as far as my limited knowledge on this subject goes) why else would it be called a "Bismark" plane in it's wooden form.

Mel, look forward to the link and your projects  ;)

Mel very nice. Although I never thought I would say that about a mallett :-) correct me if I'm wrong but is that a carver's style mallett and if so do you use it with bevel/mortising chisels? I've seen various views on carpenter style (flat face) mallets vs. the round style.

Mel very nice. Although I never thought I would say that about a mallett :-) correct me if I'm wrong but is that a carver's style mallett and if so do you use it with bevel/mortising chisels? I've seen various views on carpenter style (flat face) mallets vs. the round style.

I picked this one up because of the great reviews I found about it. It's impregnated with resin, so it will wear very little. The Schwarz has has his for years and it still looks new.

I don't know the differences with this style vs the flat style.