Super simple jointer knife setting jig

rodger.

The easiest, and quickest way for me has turned out to be by feel with a straight piece of maple on the outfeed table, and to set the knives by feel.  I took the springs out, tighten just enough to hold the knife in place but still allow you to be able to move it with a lever from underneath, or push down with a piece of wood on the bevel-not on the cutting edge.  I can change them in a couple of minutes.  I have dial indicators, and magnet jigs, but don't use them any more for the jointer.  The little magnet jigs work great for the portable planer, but the cutter head is much easier to get to on the jointer.

I was playing with the idea of making a jig with an indication dial, but came across this cool idea. What do you think?

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/video/jointer-knife-setting-jig.aspx

Depends on the jointer. Parallelogram jointers with spring loaded knives it just as easy to adjust the knives to the head then set the tables to the knives. Once this is done you usually dont have do do it again with each knife change. Set the knives to the head and your done. For dovetail jointers If your tables are not dead on you have to adjust to the out feed each time. So for a dovetail jointer id say its a good choice for a parallelogram the factory jig is plenty if you have spring loaded knives.

• Like 1

Just make sure you use a glue that can be thin or smashed down evenly. Super glue would probably be better so the glue line isnt thicker on one side.

I don't think that wouldn't matter that much- if at all.  In the video, the magnets are adhering to the table and therefore should be true to the machine bed, the block of wood is just holding them in place.