New'ish to the lathe.... buying a chuck

tonydem

Right now i just have an excelsior mini lathe but ive enjoyed it so much that one day id like to bump up to a big boy with a larger throw like a Jet.    My newest project will require a chuck so i will be looking to purchase one soon, but while im at it i wouldnt mind perusing the catalog for some other gadgets as well.

What accessories should i look into and what do you specifically suggest buying? my budget is not huge but i like good deal on great products so i.e. if im getting a "10" product for the price of a "5" i may not mind spending a little extra. ya know?

Thanks again for everyones help in advance.

Tony

I have a couple of Nova chucks for my Delta midi lathe.  I believe your lathe is smaller than mine so you are probably limited by what chucks are recommended for your lathe.  Unless you plan to upsize to a big lathe soon I would get whatever will work with your current lathe.  When you do upsize you will want a much beefier chuck and will be buying a new one for your new lathe anyway.

Cindy, who is wanting a big boy lathe too

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the chucks accept a wider variety of accessories.  Some only accept accessories for that particular chuck style.  So pick and choose carefully.  Partly, it's based off size of the lathe, partly off what work you want to do with it (the jaws, for example, do not always have to be the standard ones, if you are trying to expand your skills), and some of it is the price range.

Personally, I went with a different tail stock before picking a chuck.  I have the standard point, the cup tail stock, the "dimple bearing" tail (it didn't start out dimpled... put too much pressure on it) and a cobbled together one that really sucks.  (It was a short term, one shot thing that nearly wrecked the lathe... don't do it.)

If you're looking into chucks, consider one that will work with a jacobs chuck for drill bits.  Also, consider a longer (or different shape) tool rest.

I've considered, but haven't gotten to the point where I need one yet, the stabilizer rings.  If anybody has a shop plan on how to make one, could you let me know?  Don't have the funds to buy one and they look simple enough.... but the class load is starting to turn my brain to jelly.

• 4 weeks later...

Like a number of others before me, I can't recommend the Nova G3 enough.  It's very versatile, solidly built, has a ton of accesories & you can very likely find an insert to fit it to just about any lathe out there.  It's not cheap, but it is well worth every penny IMHO.

sorry for some reason never saw this post the nova is a great chuck,  I recommend getting a second one as well.  I have 3 sets of chucks here is what I bought. and I use them on a regular bases.  

realy solid strong chuck I use it for heavy turnings and bowls

http://www.cpooutlets.com/delta-46-461-reversible-nova-g3-d-woodturning-chuck/dwwn46-461,default,pd.html?ref=shopping&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=661&zmap=dwwn46-461

comes with different jaws that are usefull for a number of projects everything from really wide jaws to small diameter

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC2000C.html?concept=1

and this is realy helpful for when you need to turn the bottom of you bowl off or a odd shaped turning.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/6/1/25/103/-/4604/RMWoodCo-Modern-Longworth-

a Jacobs chuck is very helpful.

what are you making then I can recommend some accessories that would be more useful for that project.