Cutting drawer front directly out of the cabinet face

GarryP

Is there a good technique for cutting a drawer front directly out of the cabinet face material? I can see how it can be done for rough shop cabinetry using plywood for the cabinet face and cutting drawers and doors directly out of it. 

I want to build a hall table with a shallow set of drawers like in the sketch below. I'd like to cut the drawer fronts out of the 6" high face to maintain the grain and simplify construction..

post-14389-0-69291900-1376219997_thumb.j

Typically, this is how it's done:

- Mill the apron two saw kerfs wider than necessary.

- Rip the apron in three pieces.  Chop the middle piece as needed to create drawer fronts and dividers.

- Glue the apron back together.

And this gives you a grain matched front such as this:

post-211-0-05648000-1376220574_thumb.jpg

With your design, however, the dividers between drawers look too short for this.  You'll want the grain running up and down there, rather than in line with the apron.

Wow, you guys are prompt! Thanks for the feedback. That sounds like an excellent solution. I can adjust the drawer width to allow a bit more width for the dividers to make sure they're stable.

I'm thinking I can adjust the position of the dividers slightly to close up the gap made by the saw kerf to 1/16". I'd start with the skirt a little long, then cut to final dimension after gluing. Then carefully trim the drawer front height to create the same 1/16" gap.

This table will be mahogany so I expect the glue joints will not be noticeable. On the other hand, I could glue a thin contrasting strip in the glue joint to provide an interesting accent. Hmm...