BEST to WORST list

Jamie McGannon

I'm still not sure I can help you here.

Not trying to be difficult, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what you really want.

Do you want A: A list of table saws, then a list of routers, then a list of planers etc...

Or do you want B: A list of my favorite brands?

I really don't know how to do either of these. I've used my stuff and I've used a few of my woodworker friends things. But I've certainly not used every brand of every tool that's out there. Not only that, but I don't know what to use for criteria. Is money no object? Or should I use best value as a criteria?

"Best" is a strange word, "Worst" is even stranger. And "tools" can mean almost anything.

Right now I can say I've liked almost everything I've ever got with the Veritas name on it. But even having said that, I'm not sure I would say Veritas is "Better" that Lie Neilsen?

I want to help you but the question is very broad and very confusing.

I'm sorry that this came across as broad and confusing. Let me try to sum it up while being as clear and concise as possible.

My intention was to start a high level conversation to help new woodworkers like myself navigate the flooded market of tool manufactures. I understand that most contributors on this forum havent had the opportunity to test out every table saw, router, planer etc. on the market and I wasnt trying to gain that knowledge. More so I was hopeful that I could get your insight as to what you use and why you decided to go that route. Looking back now I can see why my request created the confusion it did. Again, sorry about that. 

I am a garage woodworker with an above average appetite for first hand experience information. Havent you bought something that you thought was the right choice at the time only to realize that it wasnt what you expected and in the end you purchased the higher quality once you gained experience and insight? Its that insight that I was looking for. 

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your input

Jamie

Jamie,

Could I ask you a question? Do you wish you had not asked the question  :D

Not at all. I knew what to expect when asking the question. I recognize that this community can be tough to break through and that everyone sort of puts you through the right of passage hazing! Ahh, those college days how I miss them. :)

• Like 1

Did someone ask question?  :huh:

Sorry Jamie I didn't mean to cause offence I just got lost in the replies that were given and tried to find out what was being asked.

Stationary power tools

From my point of view I like Record Power for a table saw and oscillating spindle sander. But you probably wouldn't be able to get hold of those in your country. For bandsaws we have a nationwide company called Axminster who sell very good range of bandsaws from hobby to pro. They also make all the typical stationary power tools including an excellent range of jointer/planers (known as planer/thicknessers in the UK) and are available through out Europe. There are also very good range made by the Swiss company Jet and they seem to cover all bases for fixed machines.

Dust Extraction

I prefer Startrite and Record Power. Again not sure if you can get it in your country.

Handheld

For handheld powertools you can't go wrong with Bosch professional, Dewalt, Trend or my favourite Makita. Also, of course if money is no object, the famous German brand (the one with the lime green controls) Festool.

(I know this is in Power Tool City but....)

Handtools

For hand tools my favourite is Lie Nielson, closely followed by Lee Valley Veritas, English company Flinn Garlick who have several old brands under their banner (Lynx, Pax, Robert Sorby, Clifton planes, Crown,). For clamps Bessey are fantastic and I hear Jet are good too but we can't buy Jet clamps in Europe :(

Adhesives

Anything by Franklin (Titebond) and for epoxy West Systems

Finishes

Anything by General Finishes.

Worst

Black and Decker domestic tools. I have not had good experiences with these apart from an old corded electric drill back in about 1970 owned by my grandfather made entirely from metal. That was great but has sadly disappeared now - maybe somebody borrowed it and forgot to give it back.

I could go on but let somebody else give their list.

• Like 1

==> old corded electric drill back in about 1970 owned by my grandfather made entirely from metal.

we've got the same drill in our family --- my dad is now using my granddads B&D 3/8 corded drill -- i'll probably inherit it in another twenty years and it'll still be going strong...  

• Like 1

==> old corded electric drill back in about 1970 owned by my grandfather made entirely from metal.

we've got the same drill in our family --- my dad is now using my granddads B&D 3/8 corded drill -- i'll probably inherit it in another twenty years and it'll still be going strong...  

So that's where it is :)