How do you categorize yourself?

Llama

If I may suggest, I think we may be getting a little more philosophical than what Mel was after.

Is it possible, Mel just wanted to know if we are more likely to use our power jointer or our jointer plane?

If we make rip cuts with a hand saw or a table saw?

Or if perhaps we'd use either method depending on our mood, or the project, or the phases of the moon.

If I may suggest, I think we may be getting a little more philosophical than what Mel was after.

Is it possible, Mel just wanted to know if we are more likely to use our power jointer or our jointer plane?

Duh, no brainer.  Jointer plane takes five minutes, jointer takes five seconds.

Ripping a board with a handsaw?  What's the matter with you?

I see hand tool use as second hobby. Its not for everyone but it certainly does not make you a better woodworker. The only time I "judge" for lack of better words and "judge" Im not sure is the right word, is when something is made on a cnc. Im not really sure what it is and it may not even be the machine itself but the use or copying of someone else's work with a cnc I don't see as woodworking. I could care less about straight lines like cabinet shops using cnc's thats just good business but guys making furniture especially that of someone else's design is not woodworking. Other than that its all wood.

I see hand tool use as second hobby. Its not for everyone but it certainly does not make you a better woodworker. The only time I "judge" for lack of better words and "judge" Im not sure is the right word, is when something is made on a cnc. Im not really sure what it is and it may not even be the machine itself but the use or copying of someone else's work with a cnc I don't see as woodworking. I could care less about straight lines like cabinet shops using cnc's thats just good business but guys making furniture especially that of someone else's design is not woodworking. Other than that its all wood.

Could give the name of cadworker?

Sometimes, it's quicker or easier to use a jointer plane than the jointer.  The same goes for a rip saw.  I like having the option (the skill and tools) to choose which method to use.  And I like to think I have the knowledge to make the smart choice. :)

Or if perhaps we'd use either method depending on our mood, or the project, or the phases of the moon.

I like all of this. Anytime people can think about what they are doing, or more importantly why those decisions are made, the better we all are. :)

I still won't get a powered jointer. :) I'll also never rip a board with a handsaw! But, I will continue tapering with my handplanes. Much better than that pesky table saw! :)

Nor do I Chet, I'm happy to be an "unreal woodworker" sounds better actually B)  

I personally like "Surreal Woodworker".

Sometimes, it's quicker or easier to use a jointer plane than the jointer.  The same goes for a rip saw.  I like having the option (the skill and tools) to choose which method to use.  And I like to think I have the knowledge to make the smart choice. :)

I started a thread like this a while back. I think you're right. Sometimes, it is quicker and easier and less offensive to the neighbors... but it varies from case to case.

I think it's time to bust out the video cameras and get this party started.  And I'm planning to join Chris' team...just have to get my tapering jig down off the shelf and I'm ready.  I'll have a beer for you while you catch up.

We are doing all four sides right? Two are just to simple. :)

• Like 1