Door panel execution

I'm working on a trash can cabinet and want to execute a couple of panel doors like the one pictured below but don't have a great idea for how to implement the panel. I was thinking of a few shiplapped boards but that doesn't seem quite right. Any thoughts?

Hey J,

WE must think a like, sure it would be simple enough to just go and buy some bead board but what would that teach you and if you can't make a BIG project out of something simple why even start it. Not knowing what tools you have I'll just start, You might be on the right track with the ship/half lap, all you would have to do is create the small bevel, simple enough with a block plane or even a sandpaper block. Or you could just but two boards with beveled edges together, the boards would have a slot/groove along their edges into which a floating tongue would be inserted. Or an easy way if you have a table saw is to take some 1/4 in. ply and cut your panel to fit your door, side, garbage can frame, whatever bevel the blade to 45* and just raise it enough (About 1/8 in.) to score the panel enough to give it the beveled paneling look that you are going for.

Hope this helps,

Dave

PS.

beveled paneling link