Need 2 Balsa Wood Bats Turned for a movie In Mobile Al

Big Toe

Hi Everyone,

I am a novice wood turner with a mini lathe and I am also a Prop Master in the film biusness working on a movie called "The Prince" in Mobile Alabama. I am in need of a local craftsman in Mobile Alabama that can turn me 2 adult louisvile slugger type bats out of Balsa Wood for a stunt. This would be a paid job I just need some help and I am running out of time. If you can help My name is Andrew and you can reach me at theprinceprops@gmail.com. I'm open to suggestions.

Hey Big Toe. Welcome to the forum. Right across the bridge from Mobile is the town of Spanish Fort. Bay Millworks would be my first choice. They are In Spanish Fort. The owner is Bill Purvis and Chris Frigo runs his shop for him. You can reach him at 251-621-8786. Tell them Troy sent you.

• Like 2

Basswood would be a reasonable and inexpensive alternative.  Not as light as balsa but pretty dang light.  I don't know if this "stunt" involves cracking one of these bats over an actor's head (it'd be a whole lot cooler if it did), but neither wood is going to feel like a Swedish massage.

We're probably wasting our breath anyway...OP will never be back.