New Saws

G S Haydon

• 2 weeks later...

I came very close to ordering these saws but I really want a custom saw from one of our boutique tool makers here in the U.S. I was dead set on getting a saw from Bad Axe Toolworks but have very recently been turned on to Blackburn tools. I have been in contact with Isaac Smith founder and owner of Blackburn tools and am going to order one of his saws instead. 

• Like 1

I came very close to ordering these saws but I really want a custom saw from one of our boutique tool makers here in the U.S. I was dead set on getting a saw from Bad Axe Toolworks but have very recently been turned on to Blackburn tools. I have been in contact with Isaac Smith founder and owner of Blackburn tools and am going to order one of his saws instead. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about these!

My beautiful bride ordered one of these for me for Christmas.... if only I could figure out how she knew I wanted one...

Oh, yeah, I left Lee Valley Catalogs all over the house, with pages dog-eared and stuff circled. Oh, then I also emailed her my Lee-Valley wish list.

Man, that woman can pick up on subtly.

LOL! You should see the LN Catalog I marked up! I color coded it. Green means now, Blue means buy it after the green, and orange means I have it. Made it really easy this year! I didn't want any more socks! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've been using my Veritas Crosscut Tenon Saw now for a couple of weeks and I have to say I really like it.

When you pick it up, the grip is perfect. (At least for me) But it seems like its size and shape should make it a little unwieldy... but surprisingly when you drop it into the wood it is really really well balanced. The saw tracks beautifully in the softest of pine and the hardest of maple. I'm not sure if I can really pick up on the alternating bevels when using it, but I can tell you I have no trouble at all following any line in any material I've tried it on. My small Veritas cross-cut saw has the same pattern so perhaps its just what I'm used to.

I only have the crosscut version and I have to say even though I really like it, I will probably never buy the rip version.

I have a hard time figuring out when I would ever need a molded-splined rip saw of that size?

I have the Veritas Carcass Rip Saw and both the dovetail and crosscut versions of their small saws. I don't see a rip version of this big saw doing all that much more than the rip versions of the Carcass saw. The two small saws are phenomenal and they are my go-to saws for cutting all my dovetails. The Carcass Rip saw and now this big tenon saw are what I will use for most tenons. So, I don't see a need for the big rip-saw, but maybe somebody else might.

Anyway, this saw I exceptionally well balanced, offers incredible control and, as usual with Veritas,it fits my hand perfectly. Having used it now for a couple of weeks I have no trouble recommending it to anyone. I think it is a valuable addition and now completes my set of molded-spline saws.