Festool Cabinets

..Kev

Looks good TIODS! I have a cart but only because I bought it from someone for next to nothing. The rest a just sitting on the shop floor. I do have a lot of shop projects planned for this year and may have to incorporate some of those pull-out systainer storage shelves into a build.

I don't know if they are 100% accurate, but there's a nice set of Sys1-5 on Sketchup by someone on FOG.

Sweet!  I thought about doing something similar, but I realized I got tired of constantly opening and closing the boxes and putting the tools back in them all the time...and my tools never leave my shop so the brilliant portable modular Festool system is kind of moot for me personally.  As soon as I got over my Festools getting "dusty" (how ridiculous is that? :lol: ), I just started sticking them on the shelves for easy access.  Yours is a very cool custom solution, though.  Nice work!

Sweet!  I thought about doing something similar, but I realized I got tired of constantly opening and closing the boxes and putting the tools back in them all the time...and my tools never leave my shop so the brilliant portable modular Festool system is kind of moot for me personally.  As soon as I got over my Festools getting "dusty" (how ridiculous is that? :lol: ), I just started sticking them on the shelves for easy access.  Yours is a very cool custom solution, though.  Nice work!

Thanks Eric!  I guess I'm a little OCD about organization.  I don't mind the dust but, it has to have a home!

Good idea. I stuck mine on wheels. It seemed like a good idea at first but has become a hassle when taking items out of the lower sustainer.

I am now thinking about changing the Roubo bench into a Frankenstein Roubo/MFT 8' contraption with sliding drawers underneath.

I'm not having that issue at all.  Good luck with your bench!

Thanks Eric!  I guess I'm a little OCD about organization.  I don't mind the dust but, it has to have a home!

All my tools have to have a home too, but the idea of putting them into a box every time just doesn't work for me. Imagine how many boxes it would take to store this stuff. I things used constantly are on the shelves. Little used items are all in one drawer. I have a big shop, but not big enough to keep the boxes tools come in…

post-14694-0-96370400-1388116421_thumb.j

post-14694-0-02849900-1388116436_thumb.j

All my tools have to have a home too, but the idea of putting them into a box every time just doesn't work for me. Imagine how many boxes it would take to store this stuff. I things used constantly are on the shelves. Little used items are all in one drawer. I have a big shop, but not big enough to keep the boxes tools come in…

I agree with you 99%.  The Festool stuff is my only exception.  There's a lot of accessories and bits with each one that it makes more sense to keep them together.  There's nothing else in my shop that's in its original container.

On another note..  I broke down today and put a few coats of finish on them.  Just some arm-r-seal but, wanted to give them a bit of protection.  Sanded between coats, turned out great!

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking that most of my Systainers are pretty full; not a lot of wasted space since I put accessories, abrasives, some shop-made jigs, etc in there as well.  My OF-1400 Systainer looks like a kid's toy box. Prior to Systainers, the tool cases that came with tools were all tossed into a storage pile since they weren't space efficient, didn't stack, and usually had press-in recesses for the tools that made it slow to remove them. Only kept them cuz when I sell the tool, someone's gonna expect the tool case, too, so he can toss it into his storage pile, too.

Yeah, I was thinking that most of my Systainers are pretty full; not a lot of wasted space since I put accessories, abrasives, some shop-made jigs, etc in there as well.  My OF-1400 Systainer looks like a kid's toy box. Prior to Systainers, the tool cases that came with tools were all tossed into a storage pile since they weren't space efficient, didn't stack, and usually had press-in recesses for the tools that made it slow to remove them. Only kept them cuz when I sell the tool, someone's gonna expect the tool case, too, so he can toss it into his storage pile, too.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that hangs on to those cases.  I have an attic full of them...

Heck, I used to keep the cardboard boxes the stuff came in! I had more boxes than wood! Eventually, I just took them to Home Depot, and they recycled the boxes for me. Even stuff I didn't buy there. I called ahead, and I think they thought I was only bringing one box. Nope! Whole truck was full! The looks were priceless.

• Like 1

Heck, I used to keep the cardboard boxes the stuff came in! I had more boxes than wood! Eventually, I just took them to Home Depot, and they recycled the boxes for me. Even stuff I didn't buy there. I called ahead, and I think they thought I was only bringing one box. Nope! Whole truck was full! The looks were priceless.

Wonder if they'd take all that styrofoam as well?  Love it for shipping but, hate dealing with it after it arrives!

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea.

I am in the camp that my tools stay in the shop, so I have purpose build homes for them. Especially for the Domino, it has a spot in a drawer that can accommodate various accessories being left attached, such as the base extender. If the green tools leave the shop for a day, the systainer comes down from storage for the trip though.

As for all the tools in the drawer, in my experience wrapping power cords around the tool body is a good way to prematurely wear out the cord. In my new cabinets I am making the drawers will be subdivided for each tool. Allowing the tool to sit in its spot, with the cord lose.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to jump into this conversation a year late but I'm in the planning stages for building shop cabinets. I want to build an entire wall of cabinets but first I want to start off by building essentially a SysCart like cabinet that is about 7 feet tall for my now growing Festool collection. I want to have pull out shelves AND cabinet doors (to keep the dust out) but I'm struggling to figure out how to set that up while maximizing the flexibility of drawer placement (you know, as my needs change). Seriously considering their SYS-AZ shelves which on the surface appear to work with 32mm cabinet construction.

What slides did you go with? How did you mount them? Any thoughts on how I can add cabinet doors to the cabinets? Should I use face frames or go with European style cabinets? Sorry for all the questions, just so many options I am at this point thoroughly confused on the direction I should go -- I just know I want cabinet doors.

Thanks!