Festool Cabinets

..Kev

Hey Kyleheon,

I just used standard full extension glides.  I didn't use a face frame but, did trim out the ply.  If you wanted to put doors on it, I would think making them a little wider and using european hinges.  Frankly, I'm glad mine don't have doors and I don't have any issues with dust.  It's bad enough that I have to pull out a drawer and fumble with the systainer to get the tool I need.  Adding the door would just be one more layer slowing me down.

These really are super simple to build.  I used glue and screws and just covered them with small trim.  I also used 1/4" hardboard for the back.  I'll be building another this year as I've added some more green Kool-aid to the mix and they need a home.

As you can see, I built these some time ago and they're holding up well and still in daily use in my shop.

I agree with you 99%.  The Festool stuff is my only exception.  There's a lot of accessories and bits with each one that it makes more sense to keep them together.  There's nothing else in my shop that's in its original container.

On another note..  I broke down today and put a few coats of finish on them.  Just some arm-r-seal but, wanted to give them a bit of protection.  Sanded between coats, turned out great!

That's a cool idea, but what about the cabinets?

Thanks TIODS, another question. How did you mount the slides? Are they fixed to fit a specific Systainer or did you create shelf pin holes (32mm system?)? The SYS-AZ product from Festool says it works with the 32mm system so I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that if I have the holes setup correctly that I can change the location of the shelves easily.

If you did this, I'd love to see some photos of how that is setup. Thanks again!

-Kyle

I did not do it that way and the drawers (or sliding shelves if you will) are not adjustable.  They're just built for a particular Systainer size and I moved on.

I can take some more detailed photos if you'd like but, it's pretty straight forward.

Not sure I follow your question Richard..  These are some cabinets that I did in 2013 so the pictures of the cabinets are back on page 1..  I can bring them forward to here if that helps?

It was an attempt to make a joke,  There was nothing specific at that point about the cabinets, and you said you were putting a finish on them. I guess it failed as humor.. But it sounded like you were putting a finish on the green stuff!

IBut it sounded like you were putting a finish on the green stuff!

I thought the same thing...somewhere, some poor guy is wiping his 4th coat of Arm-R-Seal onto a Domino

Looks good by the way.  I have mixed feelings on the sustainers.  The fact that they stack isn't all that useful to me if I need to remove the top 3 cases to get to the one on the bottom.  Plus, I think the only reason I've never used the Domino accessories is because I don't know how to tetris them all back into the box.

Of course, I store my all my Festool in vices :)

Personally, I hate stacking the systainers.  Becomes a PITA in a hurry in the shop!  Great for travel tho!

That's why these are on individual pull out shelves.

In hindsight, I can see where making them adjustable would be handy.

I need to build some of those. It is a pain to shuffle the stack to get to the case I need. I learned long ago to keep tools in a case whenever possible. I even will buy Allen wrenches to keep in a case so there is no need to go find that size.

I'm pretty much the opposite..  Everything has to have a home but, I hate the cases.  

Looks Good,

I agree $600 dollars for a cabinet just to hold Systainers is a bit to swallow. I was going to do same thing you did but they just came out with the pull out drawers.

http://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-500767-Sys-AZ-Pull-Out-Drawer-Set-5-Pack-p/500767.htm

still pricy but a little easier to swallow and it can be made to your own spec. I just finished mine yesterday. It turned out nice. When I get home I'll take a pic and post. 

• Like 1

Personally, I hate stacking the systainers. Becomes a PITA in a hurry in the shop! Great for travel tho!

That's why these are on individual pull out shelves.

In hindsight, I can see where making them adjustable would be handy.

Oh geez...I just realized they pull out. My first clue should have been when you said 'they pull out'. :;

• Like 1